New Lock screen on top of regular lock screen
RICMIT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a few days ago, I noticed a new lock screen appearing on my Galaxy S5, when I unplug it from the charger. It is full screen, does not have any ads and the background picture changes periodically like a wallpaper slide show. It also says "Good Morning" (or Afternoon, etc. depending on the time of day) and shows the current location and temperature. At the bottom it says slide to unlock. When I slide, it reveals my regular pin pad secure lock screen. It reappears when I plug in the charger and then again when I unplug it, but at no other times. It also started appearing on my wife's S5 today. We don't have any 3rd party battery charging boosters, file managers, etc. that I know of. Could this be some sort of malware? It seems innocuous, but not sure if I can trust it or how to get rid of it. The last software update was about a month ago and this did not appear until just very recently. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Lock screen on top of regular lock screen
BENDEGEIT
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not DTIgnite.

Turns out it's Peel Smart Remote (or just Peel Remote on my phone).

See: Peel remote app upsets users with a ton of ads and lock screen overlays

Apparently its a free app that came automatically installed on this phone and cannot be uninstalled. The "Mute For Now" option will disable the lockscreen 'feature' but not the random, full-page adds. To get rid of those you have to sign up for a monthly $0.99, placing it firmly in the realm of ransomware, as far as I am concerned. Fortunately, you can Force Stop, Disable, and turn off all permissions, notifications, and updates.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RICMIT32,

I like to know what's going on with my lock screens, too. Can you send us a screenshot of what you are referring to?

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
RICMIT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've attached a photo of the screen using my Surface. I cannot access any of the phone's other functions without sliding this screen to the right which reveals my regular pin pad lock screen and this screen goes away again until I either plug it into the charger or unplug it from the charge. I've been considering going into a Verizon store to see if someone there can figure it out.

thanks,

0 Likes
CANAM321

I am also getting the same 2nd locked screen and it just started a couple of days now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RICMIT32, we won't give up on your lock screen issues. What happens if you go into your settings and completely remove the lock? Do these same issues persist?

SheritaH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing additional details about the screen lock Ricmit32. Having face to face support at the store is nice. Have you been able to take the phone into the store yet? If not, we have ways to remove the screen from your Galaxy S5. You'll want to go to Settings>Security>Trusted Agents>Deactivate Smart Lock. This should remove the double lock screen for you. Let us know how that works out for you.

LaSindaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RICMIT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok I removed the lock altogether; not even swipe to unlock. The lock screen in question still appears when I plug in the charger and requires a slide to unlock. Then my home screen appears. It reappears when I unplug from the charger (by the way this is any micro usb charger).

thanks,

RICMIT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not been able to get to a store to have them look into this yet; probably tomorrow. When I go to settings>security>trust agents> , the only agent shown is Google and is was already set to Off.

thanks,

AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for your troubleshooting efforts, RICMIT32. I’m sorry to learn that you continue to have the lock issues even after removing the lock altogether. Please restart your phone in Safe Mode and test: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-97645/

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello RICMIT32,

We definitely want to ensure your device is in perfect working order. At this time, we would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer directly. They will be able to determine what new updates have changed the behavior of your lock screen.

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes