New S22 phones: Message+ severely compressing gifs for recipient to the point they are unreadable
Peruna

I have had Samsung S-series phones with Verizon since the S2.  Ever since Verizon came out with Message+, my husband and I have used it with gifs with no problem.  We both got new Samsung S22 phones from Verizon this week and now when we use the "gif" feature with gifs from Giphy or the other source -- with gifs that we have definitely used in the past -- the gifs look fine on our outgoing message and if you click on them, they're in the full original size without compression.  But on the recipient's end, they have been compressed to 126K or even less and are ridiculously pixelated, high contrast, and small text is unreadable.  It has clearly reduced the number of colors as well, and every gif is just horrible!!  

It is definitely not an individual phone because both our phones do it. Gifs that were in our text stream that we moved from our #S1O to the#S22 also are compressed beyond being useful or viewable. A quick check of one gif sent to me by a friend with a Verizon iPhone is definitely compressed, but not to the point where the quality suffers much.  My husband also received one from a friend that seems ok, we're waiting to hear what kind of phone/carrier he has.

So far it seems to be a problem between Samsung S22 phones on Message plus.  Messaging is a big part of my phone use and this is like stepping back into the dark ages of texting.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New S22 phones: Message+
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to use your Gifs and all messaging features is crucial.  We want this resolved ASAP.  To clarify, is you change your default messaging application to the Blue Messages application temporarily, does this issue still happen in that app too on both phones?  What does happen?  Here are the steps:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-300881/

-Sean

0 Likes
Peruna

Both my husband and I tried switching to the blue app.  It still compresses beyond comfortable usability in the blue app, but it seems to compress differently.  It's less pixaleted, but more blurry.  

The one big difference is that on my husband's phone and not mine, in the Message+ app, gifs that are rectangular are shown as squares -- the whole picture is still there, so it's distorted into a square.  It doesn't matter whether the gif sent is one from Giphy or from Tenor.  One mine, rectangular gifs show in a rectangular shape.  

0 Likes
Peruna

Also, when I say "more blurry" -- I meant that it is equally unusable.  Details are uncomfortably blurred, not just slightly blurred, and small text is unreadable.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Gotcha. And this is only happening on your devices, no one else that you know? 

*Aly

0 Likes
Re: New S22 phones: Message+ severely compressing gifs for recipient to the point they are unreadable
SaltyS21U_User
Contributor - Level 3

@Peruna,

Hello, I have experienced many issues using the Verizon Apps on Samsung S21 Ultra after porting over to Verizon back on April 30, 2021. I had an S21 Ultra with previous carrier, who has since merged with another carrier. I then purchased an UNLOCKED S21 Ultra from Samsung directly, which none of the Verizon Apps worked as well. I continued to try and was informed a Verizon model S21 Ultra would fix all ngoing issue with the Verizon Apps. After spending 2.5 months with Tier II Techs remotely logged on (as you see plural, since being passed around, around, and around) I retirned the Verizon model due to the fact it was not able to perform any better then the UNLOCKED device. I am utilizing a Samsung S22 Ultra Verizon, without using any apps from Verizon, with exception to MyVerizon (works... of course billing). I would highly recommend Google Messages (Messages+),  HIYA (Call Filter), and McAfee direct opposed to (Digital Secure). I have not had any issues other then the issues concerning Visual Voicemail will on WiFi, and a few other clitches. I feel Verizon along with the Developers of Verizon Apps are not up to par, as far as the latest software from the Manufacture. Whom they seem, to always point their fingers towards. Stand your ground and please, do not backdoor. Good luck, and I truly wish you and your husband the very best. 

Salty... Oh, yes I am!!
0 Likes
Re: New S22 phones: Message+ severely compressing gifs
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there. We're sorry to hear about your recent experience and would love to help however we can. To continue, please send us a Private Note, so we can obtain more info about this and help you tonight. *Kris

0 Likes