Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New System update...preparing device....ongoing (8/13)
Jaysonol
Novice

I received a notification this morning for a new OTA System Update for my S5.  My phone asks me to 'Tap to install new software', which I do....

Then an never ending "Preparing your device for the update...." message appears along with circular animation.....but it never ends.  I've been watching this now for at least 30 minutes.  I suppose it a Samsung 'Stagefright' patch, but unsure.

Anyone know what this is?  Or is anyone else having an issue of a stalling install?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New System update...preparing device....ongoing (8/13)
Snn5
Sr. Leader

You can stop the preparation process and try to do a system cache clear.  That might kickstart the process upon reboot.  I have heard it is a security patch, but that is all so far.

Power down phone

Press/hold volume up and home keys, then press/hold power key

When phone vibrates, release power key

When system recovery menu displays, release volume up/home keys

Use volume keys to navigate to wipe cache partition and press power key to select

Once finished, press power key to reboot system

Jaysonol
Novice

It is indeed a 'security update' prepared by Samsung.  After restarting my phone, and attempting to install again, it finally took and then rebooted at completion.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Glad that worked.

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

mine took the 9 minutes it claimed for the install, everything ok.