New pop ups on galaxy S5
DNTief

Recently, Some annoying things began happening on my S5-

Sometimes, when I go to wake it, I get a screen with one of a few different background pics , and text saying good morning, or evening.  Which I then have to clear before I can get to my usual things.

The google play store keeps opening at random times, wanting me to install an app.  Not weird unknown ones, but I don't remember what they have been.  Sometimes, it happens while typing a reply, which is REALLY annoying.

Any ideas what to get rid of, check for to get rid of these "features"?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New pop ups on galaxy S5
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can understand the nuisance of having these changes to your device and are happy to assist in any way possible. To clarify, were there any updates to your software or any recent apps installed prior to this happening? Have you attempted to place your device into Safe Mode to see if the issue persists?

JoshuaC_VZW

0 Likes
DNTief

I have not installed anything recently.  I can't think of anything that I can say happened, and then these things started.

Here's a new detail - today, most times when I go to wake up the phone, it comes up with google play store, wanting to install Smart Hydration app, from Cordemi Technologies LLC.

How do I get it into safe mode?

0 Likes
DNTief

Got it in safe mode, now to see if anything changes...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
  1. Press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until the 'Power off' prompt appears then release.

2. Touch and hold Power off until the 'Reboot to Safe Mode' prompt appears then release.

3. Tap Restart. TaylorH_VZW

0 Likes
DNTief

Thank you.  I have it in safe mode, since late last night.   The play store pop up has not happened yet.  It was happening very frequently before this. 

0 Likes
DNTief

UPDATE - The phone is still in safe mode, and the same play store pop up is back.

0 Likes
DNTief

This morning, the 2nd level welcome screen thing came back.  Arrg!   Still in safe mode.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DNTief, thank you so much for testing the device in safe mode. That does seem a bit odd that you're still getting the same issue while in Safe Mode. Are you able to provide a screenshot of the "2nd level welcome screen?" KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DNTief, thank you for keeping us posted. Please tell us, is your device software up to date? You can check via Settings > About Device > Software updates.

How often do you see the pop up on your device? Is the Play Store pop up the only pop up you've been receiving so far?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes