New security app detected attack. How do I get more details?
thezoetrope
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently got the new Verizon security and privacy app on my phone and yesterday it notified me that it detected an attack on my home network. I can't figure out how to get more details. There are a number of questions I have surrounding this. What exactly does it mean? How do i get more information? How do I know that I have successfully remedied the problem? How concerned should I be? I've changed my router admin password, run a virus scan, changed my wifi password, disabled uPNP, just about anything I could think of or dig up on the internet. Still the lack of info from V S&P leaves me with concerns. Information surrounding the app itself seems almost non-existent, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New security app detected attack. How do I get more details?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello thezoetrope,

I'm sorry for any and all concerns you're having surrounding the Verizon Security and Privacy application on your device. I'm eager to assist you. First, I'd like to gather some details. Since this application has had a recent update, I would like to ask how long you've had it on your device? Please look up the application in the Play Store and check for any available updates.  Here's a link that will provide you with some more information:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-security-and-privacy-faqs/#phish

ChristinaB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jadeleeper

Just wondering if you found anything out..? I was wondering the same thing.

0 Likes
WalkGoodPhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anything new?  Same issue on my Galaxy S7.  Full scan shows 100% clean.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

What type of router do you have I have netgear and I can go into the browser and see what is going on in the router. Make sure you have your software up to date and go thru the logs you should be able o tell in there if someone tried to get into your network

0 Likes
WalkGoodPhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Optimum internet.  Doesn't matter if I am home or on Optimum wifi hotspots.   Same popup error msg.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Optimum has McAfee not sure if you have to pay extra for it

Find Answers

But one thing I would try is to go into settings-application manager and go down to support and protection tap on storage and clear the data. Then restart the phone and see if you still have the problem. This does not always work but most times it does. Unfortunately this is one of those apps that you can't uninstall and then reinstall 

0 Likes
WalkGoodPhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

McAfee is free from optimum.  I think thebsecurity scan from Verizon isvalso McAfee?

Anyway,  the "attack"  could also be from Optimum probing the network.

I did the clear cache & data.  I'll see if it still happens.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I think you are correct on both counts

0 Likes
WalkGoodPhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

So far,  no issues since clearing cache & data for the app.  Been on multiple Optimum WiFi  hotspots.    Weird - app shouldn't need that to function correctly.