No VM sound or LED Notification - Samsung S9
RKP000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am no longer getting LED (blinking) or a VM notification sound on my Samsung S9. All I get is the icon in the status bar showing VM. The notifications used to work fine. I can't say when they stopped. 

The phone is NOT unlocked. It's running Android 10 and Verizon is my carrier. I am using the basic VM app that came on the phone. I am not using visual VM. I cannot think of any app(s) I installed that may have affected voicemail notifications. No custom LED color apps, no custom notification or profile setting apps. No custom themes or launchers. I don't install and remove apps frequently. I mainly use the phone for email and texting.

This is so frustrating! I know there are users out there, smarter than me that may have a solution?

I am not new to cells. Been in IT for eons. PLEASE PLEASE do not suggest the basics - turn on voicemail notifications etc. Trust me, I've been through all those settings numerous times. Everything that should be enabled is. Permissions are correct. I've tried turning VM options off, restarting the phone then turning the option back on etc. Tried clearing storage data in the VM system files and on and on.

I am looking for some advanced ideas to try to resolve the issue. Maybe delete a corrupt settings file, how to force a reinstall or restore of the VM system (if possible). Some ideas like that. 

I'd like to avoid a factory reset but I am almost certain that is what it will take to fix this.. There must be a file or process that contains settings that is preventing VM notifications. 

I can't imagine there is anything Verizon can do to my account that would resolve this VM notification problem but I am willing to call them if anyone has had luck calling Verizon for this VM issue.

Any advanced suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No VM sound or LED Notification - Samsung S9
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

So sorry to hear about the issues with voicemail notifications on your Samsung Galaxy S9, RKP000. I know how fundamental it is to be alerted about new voicemails as they come in and I'm happy to help figure this out. For clarification, you advised that you you are using the basic voicemail app and not visual voicemail. Do you mean that you use basic visual voicemail and not premium visual voicemail? Are you having any issues with mobile data (not Wi-Fi but cellular data) on your phone or do you have mobile data turned off? What happens when you call into voicemail by dialing *86? 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
RKP000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not using any type of visual voicemail. I use the OEM version where I call *86 and listen to my messages. The app shows an icon in the status bar when I have VM, but I don't get the flashing LED and no sound notification. I've tried setting these, deleted the settings, re-enabled them etc. Nothing seems to resolve the issue. I am 99% sure the only way I will resolve this is to factory reset the phone. I want to avoid that as it's time consuming to get the phone configured the way I want after a reset.

I have no other issues with my S9. Mobile data works great. No issues calling VM via *86. Works as designed.

The only issue I am having with the S9 is VM notifications. No LED blinking and no sound notification. I've tried picking diff sound alerts and no matter which file I pick, they will not play when I get a new VM. My other notifications for example, email works perfectly. I get the LED flashing and sound when I get new email.

The VM notifications (LED and sound) used to work. Obviously an update from Verizon or some application I installed broke the VM notifications.

Thanks for looking into this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying this information for us, RKP000. I understand this feature is essential for you. You can certainly test the device in Safe Mode before you complete the factory data reset. If the issue continues in Safe Mode, then the next step will be to complete a factory data reset. Here are the steps to place the device in Safe Mode. https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-216817/#:~:text=Press%20and%20hold%20the%20Power,to%2... Please keep us posted on your progress. 

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes