No memory to install new apps or update old ones
AMKaloha
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep getting a message to uninstall apps in order to get more memory in order to update existing apps or install new ones.  I can't seem to uninstall some of the apps (the ones I don't want!).  I have uninstalled apps I don't want and even some I wanted because I needed to make room for a new app.  But, this happens all the time and I constantly get the message that there is no room to update apps.  I'm not sure if I have a sim card nor if or how this would work if I had one.  Can anyone out there please help?  It is so frustrating.  I tried calling Verizon but can't get through their firewall!  I am at my wits end.  Please remember I can follow directions if told where to find stuff.  So many directions say go to ??? and I have no idea how to get to ???.  Thanks in advance.  Andrea

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: No memory to install new apps or update old ones
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you cleared the application cache for all the applications? Have you deleted the downloaded files you don't need anymore? Move pictures to the SD card or your computer to free up space on the internal memory space?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Not sure with the S4 but with most Samsung phones if you use Volume up-power home this will put you in recovery mode. Once there if you use the volume down it will get you down to clear cache partition. Tap power key use the volume button again to say yes then power again. This will clear out all the old files on your phone which it does not use. It will not mess with any of your phone settings but could clear out a lot of space especially if you have never done this before.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AMKaloha,

Memory issues can have many ways to find a fix, so let's check that out. Just like Ann154 and kathy65793 mentioned, phones can store temporary files through normal use, so it's good to clear that out occasionally. Check out this link to clear out app cache on things you do not use (the "All Cached Data" in particular should be most helpful to you): http://vz.to/2ElkRGs .

Check out other parts of your phone as well, such as the Photo Gallery, as those can fill up memory over time as well. A microSD card (up to 64GB) can be used with your S4, and that would be a great way to move applications and other things away from your phone. Let us know how that goes for you, and we can keep going as needed.

RussellM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
AMKaloha
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply however -- the http;/vzto/2ElkRGs gives the error "An unexpected error has occurred" so I can't get to it. Any other suggestions?

Andrea K

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Clear App Cache - Samsung Galaxy S 4 mini | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AMKaloha,

I'm very sorry to hear that link didn't work for you. We want to make sure you get the help you need. The link Ann154 provided is the correct one. Have you been able to try that? If you go into the settings, scroll over to more and look under storage it will break down what is using the most space on your device. Does anything stand out as using a lot?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
AMKaloha
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all -- I have searched and searched for a place to reply to the

people who took the time to answer my question but haven't been able to find

it. There is usually a place to "Reply" but your site does not have this.

Secondly, as I told you, I get to one place and then there is no choice for

the next place you tell me to go! I'm entirely frustrated. I think I

finally reached a place to clean the catche and did that, got one new app

installed, then got a message that there is no memory to update certain

other apps. I do not have a lot of pictures in my gallery, so that is not

taking up space. Any other suggestions? Remember, I can follow directions

but if I get to a blind alley, I cannot figure out what to do. Thanks so

much everyone!

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Are you doing this on the phone or are you on a computer? There should be a red box in each of the messages that have responded to you. I know when I use my computer I can see a lot better then the phone.

When I responded to you I should have said to turn the phone off first.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@AMKaloha We truly want to get to the bottom of your issue. Please respond to our private message so we can better assist you.

Verizon_Customer_Support

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes