No more stand alone GPS!?
BawMacK

Will Verizon be bringing back the stand alone GPS option in the very near future (like tomorrow!) or, after 10 years, is it time to switch to another carrier?

0 Likes
Re: No more stand alone GPS!?
bearone21
Legend

for what purpose, i toggle in/out of gps if i need it to navigate.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

What do you mean by standalone GPS?  If you are looking for Google Navigation, it is now integrated into Google Maps.  This isn't a Verizon Wireless function, Google did this across all Android devices some time ago.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They also may be referring to this:

0 Likes
BawMacK

I travel to Canada a lot, Data is $2.05/MB. With off line maps from Google I used to be able to at least see where I was on the map. Hopefully, that's still the case.

0 Likes
BawMacK

Nope, just wanting to be able to see where I am on a offline map. Whether in another country, such as Canada where data is $2.05/MB or in a place out of the service area.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google Maps still has an option to make a map offline after the search box in the application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
BawMacK

Yes, I have multiple offline maps. I require stand alone GPS in places where there is no data service or in Canada(where I have to turn off mobile data because it's $2.05/MB  for a US phone) to see where I am on the map. Not much to ask for, in my opinion.

0 Likes
kmamedia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Idiots, who don't know how gpa fuctions, should not comment on here. Stand alone Gps worked with NO Data Usage andOFF line, with Map program installed on SD Card. Now your Verizon GPS turns on by default. It ate my data by 2Meg for 5 Miles on Gogle maps.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

kmamedia wrote:

******, who don't know how gpa fuctions, should not comment on here. Stand alone Gps worked with NO Data Usage andOFF line, with Map program installed on SD Card. Now your Verizon GPS turns on by default. It ate my data by 2Meg for 5 Miles on Gogle maps.

My post asked the original poster for clarification, which s/he gave in a polite manner.  I don't understand what your problem is.  I understand both GPA and GPS; since the OP asked about GPS, any discussion of GPAs is irrelevant.

0 Likes