Note 7 to S8
Bronwyn031
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, Verizon is trying to make holding out and exchanging for the S8 next to impossible.

I knew they would have to do something drastic to get the holdouts to cough up their Note7's before the S8 drops.

Just got a text from Verizon stating that my Note 7 will be disabled on January 20th.

And from the sounds of things, they will not let former Note 7 owners upgrade to the S8 or the Note 8 when they drop later this year; well not a straight across the table even upgrade.

So, this forced upgrade between upgrade cycles will basically reset me back to 24 months; am I right?

So if I want the S8 or Note 8 later this year I would have to join Verizon's upgrade program at my own cost or buy the phone at full price, right?

Personally my Note 7's battery never runs hotter than 36.4C and I have a battery alarm app that will alert me if it does go above 45.0C.

I've bebloated the phone and went overboard trying to stress test a overheat failure and battery self destruct on camera with absolutely no luck! And I got pretty extreme with my methods!

And if you think about that only a few hundred phones failed across the 2+ million produced, that just maybe the majority of these Note 7's are sound devices.

So my biggest gripe with this forced recall and upgrade is that I personally love my Note 7 and it's never given me any problems. It does what I ask it to and it does it lightning fast. I don't have a problem exchanging it for the next best thing, but the next best thing is still months away from being released.

If I can't hold out till the S8 or Note 8 then I'll just purchase this phone (yeah, I love it that much) and reactivate my old Note 3 in the meantime to avoid the forced upgrade.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 7 to S8
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TSARYTIN, I know the Note 7 recall has caused some anger and frustration, as it was meant to be an amazing device. The Note 7 was recalled due to not meeting government safety standards and causing travel concerns. As a result of this we are following the procedures deemed necessary to keep our customers safe. We know it can be frustrating but we have been providing notice of this publicly and directly. It has also be highly publicized by the media.

We appreciate your 11 years of loyalty to us, and we have offered many replacement options for the customers dealing with the Note 7 recall. Are you looking into getting a Google Pixel for your exchange?

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
WILTOA85
Enthusiast - Level 1

Amen Brother.

Note7-4life
Enthusiast - Level 1

110% agree I can't even count the number of times I've dropped it and have zero problems. My old HTC m8 gets so hot can't hold on to it but my note 7 doesn't get warm at all. Also love how this voluntary recall is being treated as a mandatory recall. Who gave these guys rights to change definitions. And another rumor is Verizon won't support note series in the future. Kinda cutting there own throats IMO. But go ahead disable my service with my 7 I have several other back up options/plans. 1 will be dropping Verizon as this is ridiculous less than 1% of the Note 7 caught fire. If they acted this foolishly in the auto industry nobody would have a car. Be recalls everyday.  Disgusted with the way they Samsung, Media and now Verizon. Very unprofessional handled especially for corporate what a joke for board members. I'd be embarrassed!

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

The recall wasn't issued by Verizon; it was issued by Samsung.  The carriers don't create the updates, the manufacturer does and the carriers push them out to the users.  No carrier will be supporting the 7 and all carriers have pushed out the update to brick the phone.  The recall went mandatory and is in compliance with the US CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Samsung Expands Recall of Galaxy Note7 Smartphones Based on Additional Incidents with Replacement Ph...

Could Verizon have made the exchange/refund process easier, no question, but, don't blame them for the recall.  As long as any of the Note 7s remain out there the company, both Verizon and Samsung, is liable for any injury claims.  Given the fact the recall went mandatory and there has been more than enough time for people to make their exchanges, I am thinking any suit wouldn't go through anyway.  In addition, rumor was that if the phones aren't returned, Samsung, through the provider, will charge the owner the full cost of the phone.

TSARYTSIN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here. Forced to "downgrade" and lose upgrade Eligibility. Not fair.  Hanging in until the bitter end. The only possible near phone I want is the Pixel XL 128 but the wait time is 2 months.

PS, did you get bricked?

Agermaine87
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did verizon cut off your service on your note 7? Just happened to me last night and now they still want to charge me for service they REVOKED from me! Verizon is complete [Removed]

profanity removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

message edited by Verizon Moderator

TSARYTSIN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cut me yesterday, no notice. I had to get an emergency 72 hour extension so

my wife wouldn't panic that she couldn't call me. This morning I had no

texting or cloud capabilities. I use my phone to text co-workers during

emergency drills and I easn5 able to text. It created a big problem. This

is nothing short of extortion!

TSARYTSIN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wasn't...

0 Likes
Agermaine87
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any clue what you're going to do now? I do t understand how Verizon can get away with this

0 Likes
TSARYTSIN
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I have until Sunday at 4 pm to get a new phone activated or I get

shut down permanently. I wish I could have some legal recourse. Verizon

Customer Service doesn't care...