Oreo update issues - notifications & wifi
xcentric
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since Oreo update, notification badges are not appearing on some apps, appearing intermittently, and for Gmail are double (i.e., badge says 6 if 3 new emails). Also, wifi drops intermittently and does not reconnect. This problem is bad, because I have a limited data plan.

I have tried every suggestion offered on every Android forum and website, up to and including the dreaded full reset. I'm convinced these are Oreo update problems. The latest software update G950USQU3CRD4 did not fix anything.

I'm not expecting solutions here. I just hope that these problem reports are getting to the people who can fix the problems they caused.

Android Nougat was completely stable. Wish I could revert.

0 Likes
Re: Oreo update issues - notifications & wifi
bearone21
Legend

settings/lock screen, notifications....select the ones you want to be notified!!

xcentric
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. Apparently, you didn't understand my post. I know all of the settings on my phone. Oreo update broke notifications and wifi.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Software updates are meant to improve your phone, not cause your headaches, xcentric. We definitely want to make sure your phone is running smoothly.

You mentioned that the notification badges are not working on certain apps. Other then with your Gmail, what apps is it not working on? Have you checked to see if there are any updates for the apps? 

In reference to the WiFi issue, is it dropping the connection with all WiFi or only certain ones? Do you have Auto Switch between WiFi and Mobile Data enabled http://spr.ly/6582D5Phs? You want to make sure it is turned off so the phone doesn't switch to cellular data when the WiFi connected is weak. 

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
xcentric
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re notifications, of the apps I use frequently, Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Words with Friends don't work at all. Message+ (Verizon) works intermittently. Gmail is intermittent and/or wrong number. Only since Oreo update. All apps are up to date.

App icon badges (show with number) "on." Advanced Notification Settings "Allowed."

Re WiFi, I don't use WiFi much away from home, so I don't know about other networks. All other devices (PCs, other phones, Arlo cameras, network storage, printers, Chromecast) are stable on home WiFi. Only my phone drops and only since Oreo update.

WiFi "Switch to mobile data" is off.

WiFi control history: No apps have turned WiFi on or off.

Restart phone often, run health check regularly, clear caches, reset to default, etc.

Oh, uninstalled and reinstalled affected apps too.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@bearone21, we truly appreciate you taking the time to assist your fellow community members.

@xcentric, I appreciate all the added details. I know how important it is to make sure your phone is working correctly.  After further research, I found that Samsung is aware of this behavior for notification badges. This is working as designed in Oreo. 

In reference to the phone losing the WiFi connection, does it happen when the phone is not being used and goes dormant? Have you tried forgetting the WiFi Connection http://spr.ly/6586D5nmG and adding it back?

If you continue to have issues with losing the WiFi connection after erasing and adding back the WiFi connection, use the Software Upgrade Assistant tool http://spr.ly/6587D5nmH to restore the device software update. Keep us posted after giving these suggestion a try. 

JohnB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JABBERJOE
Enthusiast - Level 1

xcentric....don't let Verizon try and steer you in the wrong direction (away from the true issue: it's THEIR software that's the problem) and into doing a "factory reset".
I was having the same issues as you with regards to the Wi-Fi immediately after the OREO update and the fix is to DISABLE the Verizon "Security and Privacy" app! My phone's Wi-Fi INSTANTLY started working after I disabled that app.

MARORL9

That doesn’t work for me.  My Security & Privacy app was already off.  Now what??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MARORL9, I rely on my WiFi working to avoid overages, so I can understand your concern if you are dropping your WiFi signal. We will get to the bottom of this for you. I would like to reset your router. Here are general steps on resetting your router: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-149095/ If you need more specific info you will need to contact your router manufacturer. I want to make sure we are on the same page. Can you please explain exactly what you are experiencing? Have you performed all other steps on this thread?

Santo_VZW

0 Likes