Phantom Voice Mail notifications popping up
Dreamcruiser

A few weeks ago I started receiving voice mail notifications on my Galaxy S9 but there is no message in my voice mails. 

Did the standard clearing of cache and data in the Phone app.  That didn't work so I went so far as doing a factory reset on my phone.

Samsung tells me that this is an Android/Verizon problem and also an Android/Sprint problem.  Anyone else having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phantom Voice Mail notifications popping up
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dreamcruiser, I understand the importance of having your voicemail notifications come through properly. I see you have done some steps to troubleshoot this issue so far, and we would be happy to help look into this further. Is the software and all of your applications up to date on your device? Please dial *86 from your device to access your voicemail, and make sure it is clear. Are you using the Verizon Voicemail app?  EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
dailey1421

Been having this problem since April and have reset my phone 2x.  Getting fed up. I use my phone for work and I work on the road so I have to have this phone.

0 Likes
Dreamcruiser

Went the factory reset route also.

Looking at past postingsl this has been a problem for years.  There is conversation about this that took place in 2016.  I fear that this is going to be one of those finger pointing exercises between Samsung and Verizon where neither party knows what the problem is.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how irritating ghost notifications can be, Dreamcruiser. Does your voicemail notification clear if you turn off Wi-Fi and call *86 to clear your voicemails?

UbaldoJ_VZW

0 Likes
Dreamcruiser

Clearing it is not the problem - I know how to clear it as I have to do it multiple times per day.

The problem is that they keep appearing.  Sometimes I can go over a day and not get one.  Other times as I'm clearing them through the Show System Apps and Clear Cache/Clear data routine, one comes back within seconds of clearing it.  Sometimes I'm driving down a country road and will get two of them in rapid succession.

Also, they appear to be a separate function.  When I get a legitimate voicemail (and haven't cleared out the phantoms) it shows up as a separate notification.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dreamcruiser, we want you to have a seamless experience with your Voicemail service. I'm sorry to learn this has not been resolved yet, and I'm right here to help. I am sending you a Private Note, so we can review your account and get to the bottom of this for you. 

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
ace711
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have this problem, now, as well.  It is not a phone issue.  Because of where we live, we tend to go in/out of service with Verizon, near our house.  Once cleared, the phantom notifications pop back as soon as we get back into service after going out.  So, clear the cache, etc. at home, stays cleared.  Drive down the road to where service goes out, nothing.  Keep driving, then as soon as I get the smallest bar I get the voicemail notification.  That tells me the problem is with Verizon, not Samsung--it is "tower" related.