Phone keeps freezing & rebooting after Jelly Bean update
jabosca
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is anyone else having the problem where the phone freezes & then automatically restarts throughout the day after they updated to Jelly Bean?  Never had this problem before the update.

Re: Phone keeps freezing & rebooting after Jelly Bean update
TBHall4322

Yes.  Ever since my Galaxy S3 was upgraded to Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) a few weeks ago, I have had several days where my phone suddenly reboots, over and over.  When it comes back up, the lock screen is frozen.  After a minute or so, I can start using my phone again, but then it freezes up again and reboots.  This occurred all day yesterday (Christmas Day).  Today, 12/26, so far my phone has been working just fine; no reboots so far.  This has become quite an annoyance.  If this continues, I will be taking my phone into my local Verizon store and asking that it be fixed or replaced. 

0 Likes
chopper212

I've noticed that I will get a frozen lock screen where nothing I do seems to be able to unlock it until I take out the battery and put it back in.  Never happened before the upgrade.

0 Likes
TBHall4322

Good news!  I took my Galaxy S3 into a Verizon Wireless store and they performed a complete back-up and hard reset to restore my phone back to factory settings,  Problem resolved.  Of course I now have to download and install all the apps I had already installed, but at least my phone is working properly again.

0 Likes
PulCzar

"Ever since my Galaxy S3 was upgraded to Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)"

I don't think that's Jelly Bean? Wasn't that a maintenance update?

0 Likes
TBHall4322

The latest version of Android is 4.1 which is nicknamed "Jelly Bean".  Verizon pushed this out to its customers a few weeks ago.

0 Likes
Arcadias
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has your phone rebooted since then at all?

0 Likes
Arcadias
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having very similar issues. My 2/3 month old Galaxy S3 has been freezing for a 2-3 minutes and then randomly rebooting by itself roughly once a week. I have tried wiping the cache, and based on all the research I have done, factory resets and safe mode does not stop the problem. Note that this has been happening since I purchased the product. The first reboot was about a week after I bought it. My most recent reboot was approximately 75 hours since the phone was last powered off manually. Could my device be different and should I still consider a factory reset?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Arcadias,

Oh my! I know how important it is to have a properly working phone at all times. Let's get this resolved. Based on the symptoms your device is having, I would strongly recommend a Hard Reset  http://vz.to/LfV00q on the device to repair any corrupted software. Applications can become corrupted on the device. Once corrupted the device will shut down just like a computer. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
andriodnewbie

I'm having a similar problem. My phone arrived on the morning of December 31st and when I activated it, it prompted me to install an update. I shouldn't have. It began freezing at about 3 p.m., lagging and forcing me to take out the battery twice before the ball even dropped in order to restart it. This is ridiculous. I've literally just received the phone. If it doesn't improve or a patch isn't sent out by Samsung, I'll just have to return it and get another phone. There should be a way to block these "updates".

0 Likes