Phone shows wrong location
kratkevich
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is actually a solution to this problem that worked for me. I'm posting it because I spent hours on the phone with Verizon  (multiple calls) and they were clueless and never heard of such a thing when in fact this is a common problem regardless of the phone make or model. Also, the problem first appeared when I upgraded my phone and I wound up going through 4 new phone. The problem appeared on the 4th phone as well so I got determined to solve it myself.

If you have the same problem and Google it all you'll find is "Make sure Location Accuracy is on" and "Use a GPS reset app". Those didn't work for me. But this what finally did so just try it if you're ready to smash your phone against the wall like I was.

Here it is: Change the SSID of your wireless router! I hope you start smiling after try it.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Phone shows wrong location
Klue
Master - Level 1

So what you are saying is a wifi connection is required for gps location to work correctly on your phone?

0 Likes
kratkevich
Enthusiast - Level 2

No. And it's hard to explain in a few words. I actually have Location Accuracy and WiFi and Bluetooth scanning disabled but had the same problem with the "recommended" settings as well.  There was something I read (and I read a lot) about Android using an online database containing WiFi access point location information which led me to give mine a new SSID which shouldn't be listed anywhere. It was a long shot that worked. My location is once again accurate and rock solid. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Klue let us know if you still have questions. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for this feedback, kratkevich. We are happy to know the issue was resolved by working on your wireless router. We always do everything in our hands to help, and we are limited on troubleshooting information for devices that are outside of our network. Once again, thank you for this information, as we're sure it will help other users. DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
kratkevich
Enthusiast - Level 2

What? I had questions. I  called Verizon several times. I literally spent hours on the phone with them to no avail. I went through 4 new phones. So then I hunkered down and figured it out myself! All is still fine here.  Thanks for nothin'.

0 Likes
same problem but no router. I live rural. Poor reception. Re: Phone shows wrong location
Donatoteo

I've had this s

0 Likes
Re: same problem but no router. I live rural. Poor reception. Phone shows wrong location
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Donatoteo, 

Thank you for your message. Please provide some details and let me know how we can assist, thanks very much. 

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
Re: same problem but no router. I live rural. Poor reception. Phone shows wrong location
KentuckyGMan

I don't have any reception but both on my 5G Internet and my home internet they show that I am not in Kentucky.  My phone shows Indianapolis which gets me so much push info and even ads pushed for Indiana.  My  Home Internet IP shows I'm in New York City which when I am using home internet on phone or computer I can't access app's and web pages that require me to be physically in Kentucky.  If my phone is connected to home internet I have to always disconnect because I get an error that It cand identify that I am within the borders of Kentucky.

It is VERY annoying as certain streaming apps on my Fire TV sticks give me location errors especially when trying to watch Louisville specific content.  I'm a cord cutter so to get local channels on my YouTube TV app it prompts me if I am traveling and doesn't allow me to watch local stations.  The phone situation is almost as annoying.  My IP should identify my service address and Verizon needs to fix this issue ASAP.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This would definitely be hard to deal with, KentuckyGMan. Have you tried the steps from the initial post on this thread? Has that worked at all, even temporarily? -Vanessa

0 Likes