Preparing to travel with Galaxy S4 - any hints?
Cheezbawl

Ok, from what I've read on the forums, it isn't a slam dunk to travel with the Galaxy S4.  I'm going to France this year, and I want to be as prepared as possible.  This is what I've gleaned:

1. Buy a reputable company's SIM Card from a real live person at the airport or electronics store.  They can help troubleshoot on the spot

2. To have the best chance at voice and data usage, you'll really have to buy the Global Services packages from Verizon - you are basically bypassing using the SIM card's prepaid functionality and network

3. Set your settings on your phone to Global Roaming

Here are my questions: 

1. Do I need to set my preferred network mode to GSM? or because I'm doing Global Roaming, am I ok with that?

2. Do I need to do anything with the APN (Access Point Name)  or once again, b/c of Global Roaming, do I bypass that? 

If I were to decide to drop the Global Services, or exceed my usage, would I then need to switch the network mode and APN to match the SIM card's network?

Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Preparing to travel with Galaxy S4 - any hints?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Cheezbawl!

I'm here to help alleviate the confusion, let's review your options! VZW does not have international cell towers, however you can use your VZW device and roam on the international towers. Your current device will work in France. To view the VZW international roaming rates visit:http://vz.to/1nX2laJ.

Additionally, if you prefer you can obtain a local sim card. However, any and all use of other SIM cards in the global phone is at the customer's sole risk and expense and is subject to the rates and terms and conditions of the applicable wireless carrier.

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Cheezbawl,

Look no further help is here! Being able to stay connected while traveling is definitely important.

Are you looking to use VZW service while in France or are you thinking of using a local carrier sim card?

While traveling in France if you are going to use VZW service you want to make sure the phone is set to Global. Visit http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller for everything you need to know about setting up your line for usage while in France.

Keep us posted if you have additional concerns.

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes
Cheezbawl

?? So now I'm really confused.  I thought I had to use a local carrier SIM card in order to piggyback off of a local carrier to get coverage.  Verizon actually has coverage in Europe?  I'm really clueless about this stuff. 

When I bought the phone in February, I thought my phone wouldn't work because Verizon is CDMA and Europe is GSM.  I was told that didn't matter, I just needed a different SIM card.   As far as I understood, the SIM card would allow me to access a local network in order to use my phone.  So, was I completely wrong on all accounts? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Cheezbawl!

I'm here to help alleviate the confusion, let's review your options! VZW does not have international cell towers, however you can use your VZW device and roam on the international towers. Your current device will work in France. To view the VZW international roaming rates visit:http://vz.to/1nX2laJ.

Additionally, if you prefer you can obtain a local sim card. However, any and all use of other SIM cards in the global phone is at the customer's sole risk and expense and is subject to the rates and terms and conditions of the applicable wireless carrier.

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

0 Likes