Problem with random rebooting after the April 2017 update- on G-S5.
Sparky45
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem with random rebooting after 5 to 20 minutes. Very distressing when using a map service in a new city in heavy traffic. This constantly occurs on both of our S5's.  WiFi is tuned off while traveling. Are others having this problem on a G-S5 with the April 2017 update??? No problems before this update!  Are there any solutions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with random rebooting after the April 2017 update- on G-S5.
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Hold the volume up-power-home at the same time. The phone will boot into recovery mode. Use the volume button to go down to clear cache partition.  Then press the power button when clear partition is highlighted.

Then volume down to say yes press the power button again and that will clear out the cache files on the phone which are actually old files that will not change any settings that you have on the phone. If that doesn't solve your problem you may have to do the factory reset its in the recovery mode too. If you do have to do the factory reset just use smart switch or Kies to make a backup of your phone first this will help you keep your contacts and everything else that is on your phone. Hope this helps keep us posted please.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you cleared the cache partition in recovery mode since you did the update?

0 Likes
Sparky45
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, I have not. Am an older newbie. I do not know where to look in order to clear the cache. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Hold the volume up-power-home at the same time. The phone will boot into recovery mode. Use the volume button to go down to clear cache partition.  Then press the power button when clear partition is highlighted.

Then volume down to say yes press the power button again and that will clear out the cache files on the phone which are actually old files that will not change any settings that you have on the phone. If that doesn't solve your problem you may have to do the factory reset its in the recovery mode too. If you do have to do the factory reset just use smart switch or Kies to make a backup of your phone first this will help you keep your contacts and everything else that is on your phone. Hope this helps keep us posted please.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know you rely on your phone every day, especially in a new city. Is there any physical or liquid damage to the phone? Also please run a device health check and let us know if anything of interest pops up. Here’s a link to help run the health check. http://vz.to/2pJvvT5

StevenM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Sparky45
Enthusiast - Level 1

I completed the Clear Cache partition.  I then opened and actively ran the google map/ drive app for more than 24 hours without a hiccup. The problem did not reappear. Another related [?] problem was an annoying popup notice saying a Service xxx was not responding, Wait or Close.  This occurred originally about the same frequency as the Reboot problem.  This problem also has NOT reappeared. I believe the problems have been solved.  Thank you for your accurate advice.  [I will not try the more intrusive Repair Assistant]

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Glad to hear it

0 Likes