Recent update on galaxy s7 draining battery quick
campos805
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recent update on galaxy s7 draining battery quick lasts maybe 1 hour anyone else having issue or how to fix.

0 Likes
Re: Recent update on galaxy s7 draining battery quick
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you cleared the cache partition volume up-power - home? Also check your setting again play store for how it updates and and go into settings-battery-battery usage and see what is using up you battery. While you are in the battery setting see if you can put any of your apps to sleep to help save power.

shushry
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm experiencing the same.  Finally applied all the updates and now my battery dies super quickly.   Once it hits 20% its a matter of minutes before it's dead.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

when you go into the battery settings what does it say in there that is using the power? Is it an app or is it the system.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having short battery life doesn't make your device easy to use, shushry. kathy65793 provided some great ideas to help conserve battery and find out the cause of the drain. Let's dig into this further. When you go to Settings > Battery, what apps show as the highest usage ones? If you go to Settings > Performance Mode, what option is chosen? Running a Device Health Check can also help: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206364/

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
shushry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello LynnD -

Thank you for the share, but this is definitely NOT a typical configuration one-app-is-draining-the-battery issue.   I'm running continuously in battery save mode, and no one application is using the battery much more than others, or is typically expected.  There has been no change in my applications or daily use.

What I have observed:

- At full charge, the battery will drain to about 20% in a matter of hours.

- At 20% I receive a low-battery warning, and can literally watch the battery drain at that point to 0, at a rate of about 1% per second.   Translation, at 20%, the phone will die.

- I traveled on a plane recently and put my phone into airplane mode at take off.  70% battery.   3 hours later, I was only at 65% battery and disabled airplane mode.   By the time I reached baggage claim, the phone was dead.

-  Battery "health" applications typically show my battery health and capacity to be only 1/3 of it's stock value - about 900mHA instead of the stock 3000.  

This is either an issue with the latest updates, or a battery having gone defective.

What can we do?   Will Verizon/Samsung replace the battery and/or phone?

jesilyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone has lost battery life with this update, too.  My battery isn't dying as fast as yours, but it was down nearly 30% in my first hour after unplugging it this morning while using it.  My battery % breakdown analysis by the phone gave percentages for various apps that added up to 38% I should be down after 8 hours, but I only had 36% battery left (64% down).  My phone says apps like pokemon go drain 0.18% per hour when the phone isn't using them.... so even with pokemon go and facebook on for part of the day, that shouldn't even be 4% drain after 8 hours.  This was a definite change after installing G930VVRS4BQH1 update a few days ago.  I did try clearing all the cache and restarting the phone.  I guess I will have to explore battery saver modes more.  It's just frustrating that the phone itself says I shouldn't even be down 40%, but my battery percentage is way under 50%.  They list apps in order of the things that use the most battery, so what in the world is making up almost 30% use? 120 different processes using 0.25% of the battery?

shushry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Phone died today at 41% while changing the battery saver settings.   Wouldn't come on again until I plugged it in - then showed 0%, and charging.

Definitely something that started happening with the last string of updates.

Battery usage report shows Screen, Cell Idle, and Android system as the biggest users of power.  Everything else is normal.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for the helpful information, shushry. We certainly want to get your battery life back to normal. I would like an opportunity to look into this further and review the best options to get this resolved. I have sent you a Private Message so we can get additional information and work on this together. I look forward to hearing back from you.

GersonG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CappyC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had this twice after updates back about a year ago. Here is a clip from the Verizon Wireless Community page. There are instructions to reset the calibration on the battery. Worked both times for me.

What is calibrating a battery?

The Android operating system has a feature called Battery Stats, which keeps track of battery capacity, when it is full or empty. The problem is that it sometimes becomes corrupted and starts displaying data that isn’t real, which, for example, causes the phone to turn off before it reaches 0 percent. Calibrating your Android battery simply means getting the Android OS to correct this information so it is reflective of your actual battery levels once again.

0 Likes