Red tinted screen
vuvycydyx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

After Oreo update (unsure if related), noted a very red tint on screen. Suspect it is either software or sensor related - the tint "kicks in" halfway through the boot process, and certain apps (while in use) disable the tint.

It is not due to a blue light filter, nor are the color balance options under "adaptive display" adequate to counter it. Even with "red" turned all the way down and the slider all the way to "cold," it's still red-ish. Basic display is most tolerable but definitely still an issue.

I have performed a cache partition wipe and a factor reset to no avail.

I have also "squeezed" my phone (lol) based on advice from some galaxy s5 threads where users experienced this after a sensor came loose. No help.

0 Likes
Re: Red tinted screen
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could it be tinted during night hours to reduce blue light and strain on your eyes?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Sounds like you have done a lot of checking on this problem. The one with the squeezed (pressure) is the one I thought of too. I have read a lot of the complaints about the oreo update but this is the first one I read with this problem. Have you gotten in touch with Samsung to see if they have heard of this with the oreo update? Also have you checked their fourm to see if anyone has had this problem too?

Home - Samsung Community

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vuvycydyx, I depend on my screen to be viewable and working properly. Does this happen on all screen or a specific screen? Any damage to the screen?

Alberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

vuvycydyx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Guys you aren't going to believe what was up. Kathy's comment that no one else had reported this with Oreo tipped me off, and I aggressively searched for any other such report...a similar report from an s8 user after Oreo upgrade was identified:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/help/screen-tint-issue-aod-issue-oreo-update-t3771138

BUT THEY WERE WRONG TOO, as is revealed several pages into that thread

THERE IS A RIDICULOUS BUG IN GOOGLE PLAY BOOKS THAT PERMANENTLY WRECKS YOUR SCREEN IF YOU DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE A SOLICITATION FOR NIGHT READING MODE

that is, if you dismiss the question about night reading mode, your screen gets wrecked even if you aren't using the app, and starts wrecked even after a factory reset (presumably because saved setting is restored). Addressing this through the Google books app fixed the issue.