Reduced battery life after recent software updates
zitsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm seeing reduced battery life but I can't be sure if it is because of the last update or the one before it.  I'm currently at G900VVRU2BOG5.  Lately if I charge my battery overnight, it lasts from about 7am to 5pm when it used to last until 8 or 9pm.  Under the battery monitor, the "Android OS" item is the top battery drain and "Android System" is usually near the top.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Reduced battery life after recent software updates
jerseyjudy
Enthusiast - Level 3

No idea as to cause, but I am experiencing exactly the same problem since the most recent update, which was applied to my phone on August 14. As far as the top users of battery power, the specs on my phone match yours pretty closely.

Can anyone else weigh in on this issue???

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure your battery lasts zitsky. Have you downloaded any new applications since you have done the updates? Please check http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-97525/ these settings and let me know if it improves your battery life.

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LilStarlrd
Enthusiast - Level 2

The exact same thing has happened to me. I shut down all running apps, put on power saving mode, restricted background data, removed all recently added apps but my phone will not last through the night on standby. This is very frustrating for an update that we have no choice to download..... i expected more from verizon. Now im stuck with a phone that has to be plugged in all the time, im thinking that cant be good for the battery either? Please fix recent software update.. i would hate to cancel my family plan and move to anothee carrier....

James

tjonas64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have had ISSUES with a recent update and battery drain.  I posted earlier on the subject...spoke with customer service and was told to do a complete factory reset.  Pain in the ***...but...afterwards it appeared to help.  Now, a week later, I am experiencing battery drain again.  My Galaxy Note 3, used to be a power horse.  I could go almost two days before I was forced to recharge.  Now...NADA!  In fact, I have a 30% loss in battery OVERNIGHT, when the phone is supposed to be in deep sleep.  This is UNACCEPTABLE.  I am now being forced to search myself for remedies caused by an update.  I hesitate installing WakeLock apps and the like ...but there is something wrong.  I should not have to recharge twice a day now...

Not a happy camper...

TJ

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tjonas64,

I certainly appreciate you trying all of that. We want to make sure we get your phone back to working the way it should. It's very good to know that the phone worked better at first but it didn't last. Were your apps and things like that installed back on the phone after the reset? Can you think of anything that was added back around the time the issue started back up?

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tjonas64
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of my App's were reinstalled and the phone worked fine.   The connectivity / battery drain / load speeds began to act a week after.  I have no idea what "update"  if any caused the relapse....as they are never ending...including facebook/chrome/android system etc etc etc...    I have the power saving mode on yet the battery will deplete 30-40 % overnight if not plugged in.  In fact as write, the phone has depleted 54% since unplugging this morning with limited use and "connected" to the wifi.

As I have read other complaints, this would appear to be a common issue with the latest update a couple of weeks ago...BTW  I have the Note 3

From: Verizon Wireless Customer Support <forums@verizonwireless.com>

To: Tracy Jonas <smartasss64@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:52 AM

Subject: - Reduced battery life after recent software updates

#yiv6353292689 img

|

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

| |

Reduced battery life after recent software updates

created by Verizon Wireless Customer Support in Samsung Galaxy S 5 - View the full discussiontjonas64,

I certainly appreciate you trying all of that. We want to make sure we get your phone back to working the way it should. It's very good to know that the phone worked better at first but it didn't last. Were your apps and things like that installed back on the phone after the reset? Can you think of anything that was added back around the time the issue started back up?

AndrewT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in Samsung Galaxy S 5 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

|

0 Likes
whotakesallmynames

This is a common problem that a lot of S5 users have been reporting. It has prompted many people to wish they had not installed the update, but unfortunately, there is currently no way to roll those updates back. I've been reading on different Android forums about the problem, and it appears to be linked to the update. While the evidence is just circumstantial, there certainly is a lot of it. If it is due to the update, and not to something else the user did like installing a new app, then we can only cross our fingers and hope a future update corrects some of these problems. The good thing is that the Galaxy series is one of the most popular, and so there is a lot of manufacturer and community support for these devices. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. I've learned that it is a good idea to research any software update in the various Android forums prior to installing it, although I know that is probably asking a lot of some people who aren't as 'savy' as others.

0 Likes
LilStarlrd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Something interesting i have discovered after countless hours of frustration is that my particular problem seems to be related to 5ghz wireless. I found that if i shut off my wireless at night the battery will only drain 7%. Where as if i am connected via 5ghz wireless it will lose close to 90% to make things even more intersting, i found that the power loss is only happening when i am connected on my 5ghz band. When i connect via 2.4 ghz i only lose 7% similar to having the wireless off completely. I think he operating system is doing something weird and doesnt allow it to sleep while on 5ghz band.

I hope this info helps someone else.

James

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Reason is, 5ghz is faster, but operates over a much shorter distance than 2.4ghz.  Just like when your phone searches for signal, it uses battery and runs warm...so it is also when your phone is searching for 5ghz  when 2.4 is stronger but perhaps not as fast.  So, unless this router is in the same room as the phone at night I propose the above reasoning.  If it is in the same room, or very close to each other, then there's another issue.

0 Likes