Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
webchaser22

I'm having the same issue with my S3. I'm traveling and can't charge the phone. I have extra batteries and chargers and nothing works.  I had to buy a disposible phone to finish my trip

0 Likes
iamrobnoxious
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is happening to me as well. I get the red X and it still charges, but a lot slower that it did before ... too slow. I now have to put the phone in airplane mode to charge it. This is with all chargers. The phone's reception is crappy now as well. Runs hot. And the battery dies too quickly.

When will there be a fix for this?

Rob

bmarlin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I miss the old days where you rarely got phone updates and your phone just worked for years.  Now it feels like with each upgrade they make older phones so problematic that you are forced to upgrade.  My droidx was great out of the package and so was my Galaxy S3.  Then with each update I have more problems than solutions.

Since my phone went to KitKat half of my chargers work occasionally or not at all with only one that works in my car which sucks because I am on the road a lot.  Really debating on going back to the iPhone these days where I can control if my phone updates or not.  I can also control when I want to download the update to the phone.

What is driving me crazy is sometimes my phone charges just fine and others I wake up and have a dead phone.  I have to keep my phone on the charger all the time just because I don't know if on my ride home my phone won't charge today.

0 Likes
WaitingForMyContractT
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing here - since this update my phone went from a perfectly functioning phone with a perfectly functioning battery to piece of ****.  I got the typical Verizon tag line of "we are not responsible for the Samsung update, we only provide the towers" and then was told to restore my phone to factory.  I restored the phone and the only thing that did for me was make me lose all my pictures.  From the constant battery drain to the constant freezing up - this phone is basically trash now.  My contract end date of 9/28/14 can't come soon enough!  Been with Verizon for so many years now and just feel like all they do is kick you.  Over it...

TwnMom76

I am having the same issue. Tried with multiple chargers. Tried with multiple cords. Tried multiple power sources. Replaced the battery. Same issue. Red X and does not charge. This seems to be a defect in the software or charging system.

0 Likes
bmarlin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So far I have found it seems to be an issue with the base charger not the cable.  The cable I have at my work desk will sometimes give me a red x.  If I plug in with the screen off it will charge but if I bump the cable the wrong way will go to red X.  Other times I have had to power down the phone then power back up with the cable plugged in before it will charge correctly.  Also charged in safe mode seems to be another avenue.  This morning I was at 100% and just on my hour drive to work listening to my audible book drained my phone down to 6% which is a new issue.

As for moving to another carrier that won't do you any good these problems occur at AT&T as well.  Sprint and T-Mobile don't seem to have a lot of issues but they don't have enough customers to make the noise that AT&T and Verizon have.

I just wish there was a way to get rid of this update completely.  So ready to back to my old flip phone that was just a phone and never got updated!!

0 Likes
Sourkraut22
Enthusiast - Level 1

Duplicate content, see: Re: SIII won't charge since KitKat update!

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
wheelermm
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. 1amp charger gives lightening bolt inside battery icon. 750mA charger gives red x inside battery icon.

0 Likes
wheelermm
Enthusiast - Level 1

My S3 still charges when connected to a charger that gives a red x icon, it just charges more slowly.

0 Likes
Gkelloway

I'm having the same probem with my phone not charging after the update.  I have multiple chargers and now only about half still work.  The chargers worked without a problem previously to the KitKat update.  This issue of not charging is not only experienced on my Galaxy S3, my Galaxy Tab 3 is havimg the same problem. This problem is extremely aggravating since the devices do not hold a charger for more than 10 hours.

0 Likes