Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
AKers34
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue.

My phone would either non charge over night, or suddenly drop charge from 90%, 5 minutes later, 30%.

I get the red X often when trying to charge.

I took it into a Verizon store and they said to get a new battery (which they don't even sell).

I bought an official Samsung battery off Amazon. SAME ISSUES STILL!!!

Verizon: Please fix ASAP!!!

firehawk8482
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine does the same thing. It also starting to say my memory card was removed and reloads it. I also can't record any videos anymore.  my upgrade isn't until December 22. I know its not my battery, something is wrong with the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello firehawk8482!

I don't want you having any issues with your Galaxy s3! I'm glad that your memory card re-loads the data, but I would still recommend backing up your data to a PC, to be sure nothing is lost.
You also mentioned you cannot record videos anymore. Can you take pictures? Please go to menu/settings/applications/application manager/camera.  Once there, please clear cache and clear data. Then, give your camera a try again and keep me posted!

Thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
susanpmi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue. Crazy irregularities in behavior of the phone when I try to charge it. Battery drain issue is prohibitive. I cannot begin to tell you how many lifestyle issues this has caused for me since upgrading to Kit Kat. Please reassure us that this issue is receiving attention. All of the current suggestions being given by Verizon do nothing to correct an intolerable situation.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us, susanpmi. We definitely want to make sure that you're phone is working in tiptop shape. Have you tried wiping the cache partition? Follow these steps up until the part where it asks you to perform a factory reset, and choose cache partition. Once done, reset/reboot your phone from the menu. This can help resolve a lot of these issues. http://vz.to/UNmvKf

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bmarlin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted Samsung, they told me they are not aware of any issues with Kit Kat and the Galaxy S3.  We walked through all the same steps that I have seen everywhere else.  Is the battery, what cable are you using, what apps did you install, did you wipe the cache.  All the while I try to explain this was not an issue until the latest OS update.  The moment my phone rebooted from the OS update it turned into a $500 piece of garbage.  They then informed me I should do a factory reset, which I asked would that take me back to the original OS.  The answer is no and no guarantee this will fix the issue.  I would unhappily do a factory reset if that guaranteed to resolve my issue but I hate to lose my game data and other stuff that does not get backed up.

Had another lovely phone episode this morning, woke to my phone charging all night showing the standard charge black lightning bolt but its only at %60.  Checked my email and then got in the shower when I got out the red light was flashing the phone is at %7 now.  So I have been trying to keep it plugged in all day and I am at about %50 so far.

alboogie79

I've been having the same issue after the Kit Kat Update and all of my chargers are OEM.  I need a fix.

0 Likes
bmarlin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So far I have been able to manage this issue a little but going forward I won't upgrade to another Samsung product due to the lack of attention they have given this issue.

Steps to help with this issue:

I have found that trying different cables with different base blocks resolve some of the issues.  At work I have the white Music Power power block that came with one of my ipods.  This is the most finicky base charger and only works with a few cables I have.  The same is true with my USB charger in my vehicle that I have to use a specific cable.  They like my LG cable but don't like my original Samsung cable or my original Droid X cable.  So try different combinations between cables and block chargers.  The black blocks that came with my droid x and Samsung S3 seem to work with all the cables most of the time.

I also installed Battery Doctor and Start up manager apps.  This has really helped the issue with Apps running wild that I never opened to start with.  On a new boot up I have about 10 apps that run in the background.  Between these 2 tools I have been able to extend my battery life.

0 Likes
JohnnieVan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having an issue with my phone charging lately.  I have used the original cable that came with my S3 as well as another and they both have the same problems.  One when it is plugged in charging it will beep that the battery is low and to plug in a charger when it is plugged in charging.  Another is slow charging or not charging at all when plugged in.  I have my phone plugged in right now and in safe mode and the battery percentage has actually gone down.  I also have wiped the cache and that hasn't helped either.  I am not sure if it is an issue with the connection port on the phone or what but it is very frustrating to have to keep my phone on the charger all day just so I can get my calls.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnnieVan,

Making sure your device can keep a good charge throughout the day is important and we are here to help take a closer look at this concern.

Since multiple chargers have been tested, it is possible that this may be a device charging port issue. Does the device have any physical/liquid damage? Is the device still covered under warranty?

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes