Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
skicheer12

sometimes I get the red x, sometimes I get nothing.  battery life is worse than ever.  the situations does not change regardless of factory reset and/or safe mode.  Verizon - please fix this issue or have Samsung fix it. 

This is a Kit Kat issue, not a hardware issue.  please actually read the comments from each person. we are all having the same issues that did NOT exist prior to Kit Kat.

Thank you

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional details, skicheer12. Although we don't manufacture the phones, it's important to us that your phone works properly. Each individual may have a different experience, which is why I had asked about your specific troubles. I've sent a copy of this forum to my device team that works directly with Samsung for further investigation. We appreciate you all bringing this difficulty to our attention and look forward to finding a resolution for everyone with Samsung.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
HeatherY9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Last night my battery died and now it will not charge....like at all. Wall chargers, factory charger, USB....NOTHING. Co-Worker plugged in his phone on my charger and it works so I KNOW it's not my charger. I had been having issues with charging my S3 but I thought it was my charger. I was wrong. ALSO..............Last week my phone decided to reset itself and go back to factory settings. I lost EVERYTHING. I loved this phone when I got it, I seriously want to throw it out the window now! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh my goodness, HeatherY9. We want to get you loving your device again. It looks as if you've already tried the steps I would be suggesting if your phone is not powering on, so I have sent you a follow request here in the forum. Please access https://community.verizonwireless.com/actions to accept my request and follow me https://community.verizonwireless.com/people/jenniferh_vzw back so you can send me a private message https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1613 so we can get started looking into options.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

bmarlin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had my phone do that and found a piece of crud stuck inside the charging port.  Check that area and make sure there is not lint or some type of debris.  If there is turn the phone off, remove the battery, then see if you can get it out.  I used a small needle to remove the crud blocking my port.  Hope this helps

0 Likes
HeatherY9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just checked, there wasn't any debris. Thank You for your help!! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
sthardy
Enthusiast - Level 1

So Verizon, for those of us that have tried all of the solutions suggested here, but are still unable to charge phones since the Kit Kat update, do you have a proposed solution?  Like many here I liked my phone but know have almost no battery life and I am never certain it will charge.  (I have used multiple chargers, and replaced the battery.)

Do you have a solution for the update that you pushed to our phones that has caused them to have problems?

Steve

rislandgirl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having the same charging problems with my Samsung galaxy s3. Went to the Verizon store and they told me it was the battery.  Purchased a new battery but same problem.  Reading thru these posts its obvious the kit Kat update is causing these problems.  Why isn't Verizon doing anything to resolve this problem. A friend has sprint had the same problem went to their store and they knew exactly what to do to fix it why can't Verizon do the same?

wrhatt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also was getting the red X when charging my S3 after the update. But since it was eventually getting charged it wasn't a crisis. Today it just won't charge at all. Now it's crisis time.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Is it possible the battery is deeply discharged? Try charging it at a slow rate via Computer USB port. Till maybe 10 or 15%. Then use your other charger? I'm thinking the new KK software prevents a battery with a low charge from charging fast. Maybe if you slow charge it a while, it will recognize the fast charger again.

Good luck.