S4 & Motorola Elite Flip
JNDANK
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Motorola Elite Flip bluetooth that I have paired with my new S4 and I'm having some problems. I set up auto-answer and that works, but the mute/unmute button on the headset is not fully functional. I CAN mute; however, when I press the button again to unmute, the voice connection disappears--it's neither on the headset or the phone. The only way I can figure out how to make the voice connection come back is to turn the headset off and then back on. This feature of the bluetooth worked perfectly with my Bionic, it works with my daughter's Galaxy S3, and it also works with another daughter's LG phone. I've tried restoring the bluetooth factory setting and then re-pairing it with the S4, but that didn't work. I use my bluetooth for about 4-5 hours a day, and being able to mute AND umute with the headset is critical to me. I would sure hate to return my new phone over what seems like such a small problem, but I'm thinking I might have to do that. Can anyone offer any other suggestions?

Re: S4 & Motorola Elite Flip
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JNDANK,
Let's look further into this! I want you to fully enjoy your S4. Are you pressing the Smart button or both volume buttons at the same time until you hear a mute tone? Are you able to mute/unmute from the phone successfully? Please share more details. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JNDANK
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Motorola Elite Flip has a dedicated mute button. On my LG ENV2 (long time ago) and my Motorola Bionic (current) phones, pressing the mute button muted the call, and pressing it a second time unmuted. On the Galaxy S4 the mute button muted the microphone, but pressing it a second time to unmute sent the call to limbo. Not only was my microphone muted, but the other person's voice was also gone. Pressing the virtual headset button on the phone to turn off the headset function did not return the call to the Galaxy S4 handset. The only way to get the call back was to turn the headset off by closing the boom, and then re-starting the bluetooth by opening the boom. This was a real deal-killer for me. I actually talk on my phone for 4-5 hours a day, and rely on the ability to mute/unmute from the headset.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jndank,

We want you to love your device! Does the mute function work properly when not connected to the Motorola Flip? Have you tried the mute function using another bluetooth device? What software version is the device on http://vz.to/P06ei2 ?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
JNDANK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I have tried the mute function by re-activating my old Motorola Bionic phone. The bluetooth mute and unmute functions work perfectly with the old phone, just like they always have. I really think that it's a problem with the Galaxy S4 not communicating properly with the Motorola Elite Flip bluetooth headset. It's very frustrating--bluetooth standards ought to be workable across all devices. This seems like saying the phone uses a micro-USB charger, but only the Samsung micro-USB. Or that only Sony bluray discs will work in a Sony bluray player.

Also--I have been very frustrated with the Galaxy S4 battery life. I'm only getting 10 hours on a full charge. This seems unacceptable in a new battery. I expect my batteries that have been used for a year to have less than a full day's charge, but a new battery should be able to go one full day (about 16 - 18 hours) and just need to be charged overnight.

>>Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
JNDANK
Enthusiast - Level 2

The mute function on the S4 worked when I pressed the mute "button" on the screen. When I pushed the mute button on the headset, the mute "button" on the screen would indicate the call was muted. But it was not possible to unmute the headset by pressing the mute "button" on the S4 screen. The only way to get the call back was to turn off and then turn on the bluetooth device.

>>Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the information JNDANK. I know this is frustrating especially when you're using it for majority of your day. I recommend stopping by a corporate store for a hands on evaluation from our store representatives. Please keep us posted,

KinquanaH_VZw
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for replying JNDank. The Blue tooth may not be fully compatible with the S4. I would recommend trying the S4 out with a different headset. To rule out any issues with the device.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes