S4 not charging after kit kat, along with many other issues
acarlson1018
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since the update I've had nothing but problems with the apps and now the charging.

First, I've tried many different chargers, including the one that came with the S4.  It charges a bit faster in my car than in my house, but that's not saying a lot.

Second, since the kit kat update, I've had problems with Pandora, Twitter, and US Newspapers.  That's what I've been able to remember.

I'd love to know if anyone is going to fix this.  I've taken it up with Pandora but they are useless.  I don't have a contact person for Twitter or US Newspapers App so I'm left leaving this message here.

Please tell me someone is going to fix this soon.  I don't know what the update did other than change the color of my battery icon. I haven't seen it as an upgrade as much as a pain.

Please help.

Amy

0 Likes
Re: S4 not charging after kit kat, along with many other issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you seeing all the benefits of this great update, acarlson1018. It's meant to be helpful! What exactly is going on with charging? How long does it take your battery to fully charge on the original home charger that came with the phone? As for applications, what's been happening with those apps? You can also find the developer's information for every app in Google's Play Store by going to your phone's Play Store app, tapping menu then selecting My Apps. When you locate the app you're looking for, tap it and scroll down to the developer information section.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

stef7
Master - Level 2

Amy,

It's possible what you will need to do is perform what is called a Factory Data Reset. You'd want to backup any pictures, music, videos or downloaded files from your SD card onto a PC or MAC before performing an FDR. You'd also want to write down any particular settings or account information (email). Hopefully you remember your passwords. I'd even go so far as to suggest you write down your important contents (although for many, these are backed up to Google).

I know, this will cause you some additional work and inconvenience getting your device back to a state you are most familiar with, but there may be no way around it.

Updates are designed ideally to be applied with minimum problems, but often, an FDR is required to get the phone into a known / stable state like it would be if it came with KitKat out of the box. There is simply too much user-to-user variation in device types, settings and downloaded applications, and the update simply doesn't work perfectly on everyone's devices without this reset.

In the years I've owned Android devices, maybe I've been updated four devices a total of 9 or 10 times. Perhaps 40% of the time, an FDR wasn't required. But 60% of the time, I had bizarre behavior that only cleared after performing the reset.

Might not be what you wanted to hear, and I personally cannot guarantee success with it... It could be the update is inherently flawed on your device... The problem is, ultimately, this is probably what a representative (Samsung or VZW) is going to suggest to you.

FWIW: I have an LG G2. There are others owning the LG, the HTC One, Motorola Droid and other SAMSUNG owners that have experienced similar issues.

HTH.

0 Likes
acarlson1018
Enthusiast - Level 1

There was one evening when it was at 20 percent and while plugged in actually went to 19 and only went to 23% after 2 hours.

Another time it was at 40% and got to 43% after an hour. 

Last night it was at 73% when I plugged it in.  It went down again to 72% but then I feel asleep after I wrote the post.  I couldn't watch it anymore.

As for the apps, I will look for the developers to fix their issues.  Pandora hasn't helped at all. But who knows,  others may be better.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

acarlson1018,

We want you to be able to charge your device again! Have you tried a different charger to see if it helps with the device being able to charge? Have you tried a different battery also? If so, try this... http://vz.to/1nNqkI7 Let us know if the battery still is not charging while in "Safe Mode"

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes