S4 voice recognition - how to train???
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been unable to reliably get voice dialing to work on my S4.  My previous phone, a Droid Razr Maxx running 4.2 was about 90% accurate on names, the S4 is at best 10%.   For example, "Jo Elliff" was reliably fround by the Droid, never found by the S4 - always gives me a list of folks named John, etc.   Any suggestions for training/improving accuracy?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: S4 voice recognition - how to train???
AZSALUKI
Legend

on that particular contact you could try changing the spelling to "joe" and see if it recognizes it. are you using google voice commands, or s-voice?

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting idea on the spelling, which I'll try, but it seems lame Smiley Happy

I'm using s-voice.  In the interest of full disclosure, I generally do this through my Jabra Freeway speakerphone, and through it's "phone commands" feature which is supposed to activate the phone's voice recognition - it activate s-voice.  

How do I use google voice instead - is it just a matter of changing the voice recognizer setting under Language and Input?  Right now I'm using the Samsung recognizer (default), but will try the google one and see what happens.

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

BTW, other names with unambiguous spelling, e.g. Jenny, fail miserably as well.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i believe you can deactivate s-voice entirely, but i'm not sure. to activate google voice commands, you touch the microphone icon on the google search widget. i rarely use it, but when i do, that's how i do it. of course, this requires messing with the phone if you're driving. i would think there's a way to do it through bluetooth though?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want you to be able to operate your device hands free especially on the road. The S - Voice feature is standard on the new Samsung devices as it looks to compete with features such as Siri. The Voice Search information can be found by heading into Apps > Voice Search. The voice search can be made more accurate by heading into Settings > My Device > Language and Input > Voice Search > Personalized Recognition

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

I changed to the google voice (vs vlingo) on s-voice, and I already had the personalized recognition.  I also changed Jo's spelling to Joe - and things worked much better.   Now I'm going to back out the spelling change and see if things are still good, as well as try a few more names.

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

S far nine of the suggestions comes even close to working.  Voice recognition is still useless.  The other features of the s4 work fine, although the gesture stuff is more annoying then useful.

Any other ideas (partial surly vow support folks)?

0 Likes
Julian_G
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only way I found to do this is to disable s-voice in the application manager. Once you do that and press your bluetooth button, it will ask you which app to use. Personally, I use Dragon Mobile Assistant (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.balerion). I find it works well.

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dragon does seem to work well, at least on the first couple of tries.   I still need to figure out how to get the Jabra Freedom to activate it, but I'm sure that's not going to be too much of  problem.

BTW - apologies for the ragged spelling on my last post - waiting for a dentist appt, on an iPad and the spelling autocorrect did me in.

0 Likes