S4 wifi hang
Julian_G
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have found an odd case where, while on wifi, the data connection drops. When this happens, the phone remains in this broken state until you disable and re-enable wifi. For a while, I didn't even know when this problem would happen. Then, I would think "why didn't I get that email?" I would toggle the wifi connection and suddenly, tons of pending data accesses would occur. I installed an app to periodically ping a host to see if I am online (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hostpinger) and I found that it almost always happens overnight and sometimes during the day at work.

Has anyone seen this issue? I tried to enable the "Check of Internet service" feature under wifi advanced settings but that actually made the issue occur more frequently.

I have tried restarting and safe mode. The problem still persists.

0 Likes
Re: S4 wifi hang
michelle_k
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have just begun to experience the same issue. I am always connected to wifi at work and at home, but in the past 3 days, when I am connected to wifi I have no data connection and it prevents me from receiving emails or performing any downloads. I have had the same problem in the past that several other S4 users have had with sending MMS when the phone is connected to wifi, but this issue with all data being disabled is recent. As soon as I leave work and am no longer connected to wifi, all my emails from throughout the day come in all at once.

For the most part I love this phone, but these ridiculous wifi glitches that far too many people have been complaining about is frustrating to deal with from such a "state of the art" phone.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1
  • Make sure that the Mobile Data button is checked (in the settings section).
  • Make sure that you're connected to LTE/CDMA (not Global) - also in the settings section under More Networks.
  • REBOOT your phone. This does not mean just restarting it.  It means remove the battery WHILE the phone is ON. 
  • Wait for a couple of minutes and pop the battery back in and RESTART it. 
  • Go to Settings < WiFi < Then push the bottom left menu button next to (to the left of) your home button. This will bring up a menu with 5 options.
  • Click Advanced.  The "Check for Internet Service" box NEEDS to be checked.  This setting allows for your phone to switch between WiFi and 4G automatically as needed.
  • Others have tried this and had sucess with sending MMS files and toggling WiFi.
0 Likes
michelle_k
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing worked. I had already checked to make sure I was connected to LTE/CDMA and had done a reboot. I tried the other option and checked the "check for internet service" box, but that didn't help either. I opened my email and hit "refresh", but nothing happened other than trying for several minutes to refresh. However, once I turned off my connection to wifi, all my emails instantly came in.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

When you are connected to wifi do you have both 3g/4g and the wifi bars showing at the same time on the notification bar?  I do with mine and they both work together toggling back and forth depending on what type of network is needed to perform the task.

Since you already set up the wifi as I posted try pulling the battery, this time shutting down first, for a couple of minutes then reinstall and send your self an email from your computer and see if it shows up. Make sure wifi and data connections are showing up first.

0 Likes