S7 Edge can't read Micro SD Card after encrypted
c_heidecker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello again.

Here's my third issue with this new phone.  I activated it Monday, bought a brand new Samsung MicroSD card Tuesday.  On Wednesday I mounted it, formatted it and encrypted it.  Now it seems worthless.  I can't see the external storage.  I've tried to decrypt it several times and even let it run all night with no luck.  When I open up storage it says SD Card "Ready" but I can't do anything with it.  I can't unmount it or look at the contents.  I manually ejected it and loaded it on my PC but can't see the files b/c they are obviously still encrypted by the phone.  I've seen this issue on some other forums as well.  What the heck is going on?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S7 Edge can't read Micro SD Card after encrypted
C_NUCK
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the EXACT same problem and after much Googling I found the solution that worked:

- turn my lock screen security to none, keeping fingerprint data.

- I then went and started decrypting the sd card again. It failed as usual.

- I restarted the phone, I went into settings, security, encrypt SD card, and selected "Decrypt"

- This time it ACTUALLY DECRYPTED IT!!!!

- Went to my gallery and all my photos are showing.

Then go back an re-enable the lock screen security

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The external storage has it's great benefits to free up space on your phone. We want your MicroSD card to work smoothly with your s7 device when you encrypt it. How did you exactly encryp and decrypt your SD Card? What happens if you try another SD card?

RyanC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
c_heidecker
Enthusiast - Level 3

The s7 encrypts and decrypts the card.  It is in the setting menu under security.  I had to clear the card with my laptop and reformat it.  The phones encryption of the card made it worthless.  The phone couldn't read its own encryption.  I am no longer encrypting the data on the SD card.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having an operational SD card is important, c_heidecker. What type of SD card are you using? Is it a Type 10? Have you tried a different SD card. Please keep us updated.

AllisonC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
c_heidecker
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is a brand new class 10 Samsung EVO 64 GB microSD card I bought only for this phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let’s keep track of all the variables, c_heidecker, what is the build number of your S7?

From a Home screen, tap Apps Apps icon (located in the lower-right).
Tap Settings.
Tap About phone.
View the Build number.

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes
c_heidecker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sure - the build number is MMB29M.G935VVRU2APB5

0 Likes
c_heidecker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ended up doing a factory reset on my phone already.  I received a notification that activation encountered an error Sunday (which it hadn't, activation was fine) so I gave up and did a reset.  I haven't encrypted my sd card since b/c I'm scared my phone won't be able read it again after encrypting it.  This is a huge flaw for this phone.  With all these issues, should I just return it?  Are there more reliable builds out there?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all that you have tried thus far c_heidecker. Your current build number is the most recent one. If you are within your 14 days of purchase, you do have the option to return/exchange device. As you have done all the right moves and at this point, the next step we would suggest would be to contact Samsung Customer Service to see if there are any alternative options available as well. (888-987-4357)

TakendraW_VZW

0 Likes
c_heidecker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been in contact with Samsung this whole time.  They have no suggestions that have been a fix.  If I return this phone - do I get a new one?  Is it 14 days from activation?