S7 can't connect to email server after last S7 update
angelafrench
Enthusiast - Level 2

My default S7 email client can no longer connect to my email server (Comcast).  I am having no problem on other devices.  I believe it quit working after the S7 update a did a few days ago.  I haven't been able to send or receive in 3 days. I've checked all the email configuration settings for incoming and outgoing mail and they look good.  Looking for any advice.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S7 can't connect to email server after last S7 update
angelafrench
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally got it working after wiping out the partition cache.  Why that was necessary, I have no idea.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried removing the e-mail account and setting it back up again?  Have you tried using Comcast's e-mail app from the Play Store?

angelafrench
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not tried removing the email account because I didn't really want to lose my email that is on my phone.  Is there no other way?  What would be causing this?

angelafrench
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally got it working after wiping out the partition cache.  Why that was necessary, I have no idea.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Because there is no guarantee that following an OTA, device behavior will be the same. Performing a System Cache Wipe is the first thing you do if behavior is incorrect. This isn't the same as an Application Cache Clear.

If wiping the system cache doesn't work, then you backup your personal content and perform a Factory Device Reset, aka Factory Data Reset (FDR).

Now that you've experienced this once, next time it happens to you on Android, you'll know what you should do to fix device behavior. Smiley Happy

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm glad the cache wipe got things working again; as noted earlier, those are often helpful after an update if things aren't performing as well as before the update.

The Samsung e-mail app has been known to be 'finicky' in that it will stop syncing/connecting for whatever reason ... and it's not necessarily tied to the phone being recently updated.  To get it working again, the e-mail account needs to be deleted and set up again (which shouldn't be an issue if it's an IMAP or Exchange account) or switch to a different e-mail app.