My S8 plus has been soft crashing randomly since I upgraded to Android 9. I have taken the SD card out as well as did a complete factory reset using both boot menu as well as the UI. I have also tried it with just delivered Verizon apps. It still crashes. At this point it has gotten so frustrating I am considering buying a new phone, which I don't have the money to pay for. Any help is appreciated.
Exactly what does the phone do when it crashes? Does it freeze, turn its self off, blank screen, etc etc. Most importantly what app are you using when it does freeze? or is it just random?
Hi, the last time it crashed, I got a message saying Google services crashed.
When the phone does crashe, I just see the unlock icon appear for a good 30 seconds. And it doesn't let me log in using my finger print, I have to punch in the code. Interestingly, when I do login, I see all my apps still running. Hence I called it a soft crash.
Does anyone know what the issue could be? Also, it's there a log dump I can review.
Maximus_Prime, a crashing phone is definitely not what we want for you. Clearly you have been working hard to get to the bottom of this and have taken some great steps. We appreciate these clear details. As you have attempted a factory restore without restoring your apps, we do suggest using the Software Upgrade Assistant at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80200/. As with any software update, there ar...
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
Hi, my phone keeps crashing and there seems to be no way out. This is just ridiculous. Here are few more things I've started to understand about this crash:
1. The phone crashed a few more times today. At any time i never run more than 2 or 3 apps so I know that's not the issue. When the phone does recover from the crash, I am able to login using my pin. One suprise factor is, a lot of times when i do recover from this crash, my apps are still running. A true crash would have killed the apps.
2. When i initially did the factory reset, i tried to run it on default mode and did not install any of my apps from the back up. Interestingly, the crash still occured. So i can confirm it has nothing to do with the apps i was running.
3. Evan after a crash, i look at the about phone > status, the uptime doesn't reset it self. So may be it really wasn't a true crash and its' more a 'freeze'??
Can somoene tell me how I'd go about getting logs or crash dumps? Any help or sugguestions would be appreciated. I really need this phone to work.
Hi, i PM you my phone number and time to call me today. Will someone be reaching out?
Also, in addition to the notes I added earlier, I have realized the 'lock' symbal that i keep seeing during the 'crash' is what you see when Samsung is unecrypting. I will go ahead and summerize the behaviour again:
1. I updated my samsung S8 plus a few weeks ago to Android 9. Started experiencing 'crashing' issues soon after.
2. I did a factor rest using the startup menu Still get the same issues as before so that did not solve anything.
3. Some of the behaviour I have seen that could help troubleshoot this issue better:
a) the crash i see is a soft crash, meaning, after a 10 seconds or so, I am able to log back in and see all my open apps.
b) A lot of my google apps crash often since upgrading to android 9. I've tried clearning cache on these with no use
c) The phone i have is a company issued phone so there is additional security requirement enforced by Outlook. One of them is login using PIN. And perhpas encryption.
d) The image i've seen on the screen during the soft crashes are of an unlocked key- This is very similar to that of the unecrypting immage samsung uses.
e) There was a security patch update that came in this morning. I tried applying and got the message saying it failed.
No, your best bet for assistance with a device issue like that would be to reach out to the manufacturer for help, not your network service provider
Thank you for working with us, the additional information is welcomed. Since the phone is crashing after a software update, let's gather some additional information to troubleshoot your device. Did you get a chance to Delete the Updates for the Google apps through the Application Settings? You mentioned that you have additional security in your device since it is a business phone, when you did the factory reset, did you skip loading any business systems to make sure that the issue is not being caused by them?