S8+ drops bluetooth connection to Gear S3 watch when you get 4 feet away.
ESP-Inc
Enthusiast - Level 2

This did not happen with my S7E and already did a factory reset and restarted BT and reinstalled Gear software, deleted all BT connections and reinstalled.  I'm not the only one having this issue.  When will it be fixed.  Happens with ALL BT devices!!!!!!  Speakers, car, watch, keyboard, mouse, headsets, you name it.  Does not seems to be the devices but the phone.  Already read people have had there phones replaced and it still happens.  I don't want another phone because I am not guaranteed to get a new phone but a refurbished one.  I paid for a new phone and if you want to replace it, I deserve a new phone.  Are you going to stand by your product and service?  I want a phone that works.  Also, this phone has Bluetooth 5 which means it should have 4x the range of BT 4 and below with better power saving and faster transfer rates. WOW - it's not 4x the range but 1/8 the range of standard bluetooth. How are you going to fix this?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S8+ drops bluetooth connection to Gear S3 watch when you get 4 feet away.
ESP-Inc
Enthusiast - Level 2

All:

Please see below.  I know Verizon did not want to mention this or could but anyone having a problem with Bluetooth, WiFi, or an SD issue should be getting a fix soon.  Please read the links below and I think we can all lay off Verizon for now.  It's in Samsung's hands now.  Let's see what happens.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/05/samsung-galaxy-s8-bluetooth-fix-roll-globally-soon.html

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2017/05/galaxy-s8-bluetooth-fix-available-in-coming-weeks/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to keeping you connected with a reliable device as I know the importance of having functional Bluetooth in today's day and age. I appreciate you taking the steps that you have so far. How long have you had this device? Did this start upon activation or after installing updates? I understand you have completed a factory reset however I would like to test the phones Bluetooth range while in Safe Mode to see if any other software could be affecting the connection. Here is a link with instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211218/

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
wearles66
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep!!! Annoying as [Removed] isn't it. Same problem here. Isn't BT 5.0 supposed to give better range as well as being able to connect to two devices?

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
ESP-Inc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for answering my compliant,

I has preordered the phone and received it on 4/20/2017.  It has happened since I received the phone and have been trying to resolve the issue ever since. I had tried safe mode when I had the red tint issue.  Thank God a factory reset was able to rid me of that problem but when I had to do the factory reset I also tried the Bluetooth issue I was having and that did not work.  Now I tried safe mode again and and it still drops within 4 to 5 feet.  If I get lucky I might get 6 feet away(that's line of site of course).  I tried my Gear S3 watch and my bluetooth headphones.  Oh - and my new Cadillac ATS with the CUE system.  I can always try my computer's BT hub and send music streaming to the phone but I believe that would result in the same outcome. 

* wearles66 - yes you are correct on both statements.  BT 5 was to offer better range and connect 2 devices.  I have not had the issue with two devices since I always wear the watch and then might have a set of BT headphones or a special BT speakerphone (Ok - I'm a geek.  I have both the '60's Star Trek communicator BT speakerphone and Next Generation BT pin speakerphone).  I can hook up to my cars BT while others were having problems.  Now it did take me 5 to 10 times to get it to work but I thought that was due to the S8+ having the BT security that the S7E did not have.  My wife's S6 was able to connect on the 1st attempt.  I really believe this has to do with the BT firmware in the phone itself.  I could always go to a Verizon store and pair it to one of their S8+'s and see if the phone itself is the issue.  Maybe everyone having an issue got a bad firmware.  But if it turns out it's the phone I want a new phone and NOT a  refurbished one.  Like I said, I paid for a new phone and since I took this out of the wrapper it has had this issue.  I deserve a new phone if that is the problem.  I can easily go to the district office in Bristol (I believe it's Bristol, might be Bensalem.  They are right on the border).  I just can't see how soo many people are reporting issues of the same type all involving bluetooth 5 for this phone.  Please help us!!!

Thank you.

P.S.  I have disconnected all other BT devices and just tried the watch.  The same goes for the other BT devices.  Disconnected all other BT devices and tried one at a time and the same happens.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Esp-Inc, I do not want to give up on this issue just yet. I want to make sure that we explore every opportunity to fix this. Let's try these next steps.

When the cache is more it can give rise to numerous issues including slowing down the performance of the app. So, you should clear the cache very often. Here is how to clear the cache of Bluetooth.

•Go to settings > application manager and swipe right to display the All tab.

•Tap on that tab and select the Bluetooth app.

•Now tap on required button to stop the app forcefully.

•Next tap on clear cache then go for clearing the data.

That’s it and it might resolve the Bluetooth issue easily.

The previous step will only clear the cache of Bluetooth app while you can also choose to go for wiping cache partition in case the above step remain unsuccessful in resolving the Bluetooth issue for you. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, please try the next steps:

To wipe cache partition move to settings > storage and tap on the clear data button which will remove cache of all the apps in the device.

Keep us posted.

VeronicaM _VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
ESP-Inc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried all of your options.  I have cleared all the cache as well as the partition cache to no avail.  I did read that that in order for Bluetooth 5 to work for the extended range you need a Bluetooth 5 device.  That does not explain why I am not getting the basic range of Bluetooth 4.x or below.  I also have a Samsung Tab S2 and ever since the upgrade to Nougat I can no longer get down streams on my Linksys WRT3200ACM 5G router over 8Mpbs a second.  It seems that Nougat is having nothing but problems with Verizon/Samsung devices.  But this still does not explain why a Samsung phone is not working with a Samsung product (S8+ and Gear S3 watch).  Why am I going through all this hassle with products you state will work per you SLA.  I would have just liked to get a new phone and see if the phone was the actual problem but Verizon stated that I would not get a new phone which I stated before.  As a customer for almost 20+ years (Bell Atlantic Mobile then Verizon) you would think they would do anything to keep a customer happy that has been a subscriber that long.  Now I am taking all of my free time out to try and fix this issue.  I also did not state in the beginning that I am a forensics network engineer with 25+ years in networking(RF/microwave/fiber optic,electronics,board design, and programing on top of advanced networking with CISCO - I have my CCIE).  This is the first time I have had to contact customer support for a product that should have worked out of the box and if not something I should have been able to figure out myself.  I knew something was wrong with the phone or the BT protocol in the phone.  I knew this because tons of customers have complained about BT issues.  All different types of BT issues.  My problem extended to all my BT devices from headphones to my watch to syncing it up to my system to transfer files.  The range is just off.  Now we are back to where we started.  Either there is a BT protocol issue with the S8/S8+ or the phone has a faulty BT power transistor.  Now that we have tried everything under God's green earth(and not to mention most of my free time) - I want a NEW phone and not a refurbished one 'like new' so I may inherit someone else's issues.  If I went out and bought a new car and when I drove it off the lot and it was determined to have an issue they could not fix, do you think the dealer would come back and say "well - we can't fix your new car but we'll be happy to give you this used one or this dealer demo if you would like - it looks like new and it's dealer certified!!".  This is almost approaching legal action.  Now is Verizon going to give me a new phone like what I asked for when I called 16 days after receiving the phone?  Oh - we can't.  It only had a 15 day period that we could have given you a new phone.  Please let me know what you are going to do why I never received a new phone in the first place because my temper is waning thin.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ESP-Inc, we certainly want all functions of your phone to work for you the way that they should. That is definitely something you deserve in a great phone. At this time we need to be patient and wait for the upcoming update from the manufacturer. That is being geared towards fixing the issue with the Bluetooth connectivity. We apologize that at this time there is nothing else that can be done to help.

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ESP-Inc
Enthusiast - Level 2

All:

Please see below.  I know Verizon did not want to mention this or could but anyone having a problem with Bluetooth, WiFi, or an SD issue should be getting a fix soon.  Please read the links below and I think we can all lay off Verizon for now.  It's in Samsung's hands now.  Let's see what happens.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/05/samsung-galaxy-s8-bluetooth-fix-roll-globally-soon.html

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2017/05/galaxy-s8-bluetooth-fix-available-in-coming-weeks/

0 Likes
ESP-Inc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  I came across this early yesterday morning and did not get a chance to post it before you replied.  Thank you for the response and as I posted with the links it's in Samsung's court now.  I have closed this out as the correct response.  Have a great day!

Chris

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Just keep in mind, your phone is now used. You have 14 days and then it's under the manufacturers warranty. So it would not be replaced with a new one. This is the case with all carriers. You could always send your currently used device to Samsung for them to fix.

0 Likes