SIM card number mismatch, can't activate device
sonobyte

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus yesterday and whoopsed on the activation. In the past I've transferred my old SIM card to the new phone and activated without trouble, but this I forgot to turn off my S20 before inserting my old SIM, and I'm pretty sure I broke the internet. I tried using the new SIM card as well, but to no avail. Unfortunately, neither phone now works, and neither will activate on Verizon's network.

According to my account, the S20 is active, but for some strange reason, the SIM card ICCID number associated with the S20 on my account is neither the old SIM number nor the new SIM number. I've tried reactivating my old Moto G6, but that doesn't work either. To add insult to injury, Verizon keeps trying to verify my account by sending a verification code to the number that doesn't work. Fortunately I have a second line I can use for account verification, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

Verizon's automated response says their service hours begin at 8am eastern, but I've been trying since then, and no answer, and every time I try online chat I get an error. I'm hoping the forums are more active and I can get a tech support rep to contact me. Thanks in advance to any help anyone can provide!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIM card number mismatch, can't activate device
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sonobyte, congratulations on your new phone. We definitely want you to be enjoying all of the features it has to offer. Please review and respond to the Private message that we have sent. LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sonobyte, congratulations on your new phone. We definitely want you to be enjoying all of the features it has to offer. Please review and respond to the Private message that we have sent. LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
akwill25
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, huge mess they've got going on with the "Activate device on an existing line" process. I've developed a "hot spare" capability for both me and my wife. We keep our older, retired phones charged but factory reset and without SIMs. We also keep all original SIMs and have past and current phone and app backups stored on our computers. We used to be able to simply put in the correct SIM (hers or mine for the spare phone), instantly activate the phone on the existing line (hers or mine), and configure the phone by restoring from backup (hers or mine).

I typically test our "hot spare" system periodically and have used it to cover for occasional phone failures as well. It has always operated perfectly—until just a few months ago. Now, it is completely broken and impossible for a customer to effect the switch online through the website. Only an hour-long wait on hold then manual intervention by a technically inclined (good luck with that!) customer service rep is at all effective. I've got an engineering case opened on the problem and will report back when things change.

I'm the suspicious type and noticed that there are now umpteen PAID options available for PURCHASE to replace lost, stolen, or broken phones. Leads one to wonder whether Verizon has simply chosen a different way for its customers to deploy "hot spares," one more in keeping with the company's bottom line...  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@akwill25

I'm sorry to learn you're experiencing problems activating your spare device on your wireless account. I'd love to assist.

What model phone are you trying to switch to and activate? What exactly happens when you attempt the switch?

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
akwill25
Enthusiast - Level 2

My main phone is an iPhone 8 Plus. My primary backup phone is an iPhone 6 Plus. My secondary backup phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5. All phones were either purchased directly from Verizon or purchased independently and only ever activated on Verizon.

My problem, as stated, is that the ONLINE "Activate device on an existing line" process does not work. I know both backup phones CAN work as I've called in and had Verizon reps MANUALLY switch me over (and back). That does NOT change the fact that I can no longer do this myself using your 24x7 online process. Instead I must hope that my need for a backup phone doesn't present itself after hours, during holidays, or when you're short-staffed due to viruses, cutbacks, or general orneriness.

So, what help can you provide to solve my problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@akwill25

Thanks for clarifying what you're experiencing. I have personally switched devices on my account via my My Verizon online account. Does this happen when trying to switch to one specific device, or does this happen no matter which device you choose? We may need to submit a ticket to our IT Department if we can determine this is an issue with your specific online My Verizon account.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
akwill25
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your customer service folks and tech support people are aware there's a problem as other customers have been calling in for assistance and complaining that what used to work on the Verizon website works no longer.

I have failed each and every time I've attempted to use the online "Activate device on an existing line" process to go from one of my phones to another (8+ to 6+, 8+ to S5, and the reverse of each). And I have succeeded every time I've called in and had your techs or customer service people perform the switch.

As best I understand what I've been told, your folks are having to override inaccurate SIM identification somewhere in your computer system. They can "see" the ICCID of the (replacing) device in question on their "live" display, but that's not the SIM the computer has in its records. I suspect someone got lazy or careless and miscoded the process by which one device/SIM pairing is replaced by another, completely different device/SIM pairing. Per your documentation, the expected switching mode is to take the SIM from the "old" phone (was activated) and install it in the "new" phone (to be activated).

Please note that I've tried using both the New and the Previously Known (I forget the exact phrasing) forks to designate the replacing device. Neither route provides joy.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

akwill25, the information you have provided is very helpful. We want to ensure that you are able to conveniently change devices. Rest assured we will work toward a resolution to ensure the issue is cleared. 

DavidC_VZW

akwill25
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any idea just how long I should "rest" (assured or otherwise) without having my backup system for smartphone communication up and running?

Thatguy4life
Enthusiast - Level 2

So did this ever get fixed? I'm having the same issue. Bright over an unlocked s20 ultra, byod too shows it's compatible with the network, reps have checked dmd which also shows it's compatible, however when we try to activate a sim card with device id a error message stating that sim is incompatible with device appears.

Using a provisional id will get the sim card activated and I can use voice and text but no data.

Tags (1)
0 Likes