Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
lltous

>>Post removed; discussion of rooting/hacking devices is prohibited on this forum.  Please review the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi

Please sign the petition to be sent to Verizon and Samsung to resolve these problems.

The link is below:

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/samsung43problems

Also as part of good Customer Service, Verizon should offer credits back to owners affected as we could not use our devices effectively and utilize our data plans, voice minutes, texts etc.  It's time you took responsibility gave your customers Credits, pressured Samsung to resolve this and sue Samsung to recover your credits and your reputation.  Don't get upset customers just because Samsung messed up the update

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Signed!

0 Likes
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3
AJC_S3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Petition signed!

grinwell
Enthusiast - Level 1

So to add a data point--

I upgraded around 1/9/13 when prompted and immediately had the following problems:

-Apps that were "optimized" would no longer launch

-Constant GPS searching

-Ridiculous battery drain

The good news is that:

1) Reinstalling apps fixed them (I did lose some personalization data, but I was too lazy to back that up)

2) and 3) seem to have gone away without me doing anything.  I don't know if there were some stealth fixes or if the update was trying something extra in the first couple of days.  Battery still doesn't seem *quite* as good as with 4.1, but at least it makes it through the day.

misterjim
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I both experienced this problem following the 4.3 update. We both get the "your internet connection is unstable" message, despite the fact that we have an excellent wireless signal from a centrally located router. We both experience incredible battery drain. And there is a 39-page discussion of these problems elsewhere in this forum.

So if you do upgrade, or have already, go to Settings/Wi-Fi, hit the menu button and select Advanced, and then DEselect "Auto network switch" if it is selected. This seems to be the root of the problem.

It's not just we S3 owners; Galaxy S4 owners have been experiencing the exact same set of problems since last December, since they were upgraded first. Note that this is a widespread problem, so the standard set of answers from Support will not apply. This is a problem with the 4.3 release, and only a bug fix will take care of it. Until then, don't activate Auto Network Switch.

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jim

With all due respect, it may have worked for you.  But this is repeated advice.  Many of us have been through this setting as well as turning off bloatware and stopping multiple services.  The reality is the battery drain is still ridiculous and I also run Defender Ultimate to control battery and it is still very bad.  Other issues are WiFi drops etc even with you suggested setting.

The reality is this is a bad non-tested update and it needs to be replaced with one working, or to upgrade to a fully user tested KitKat 4 or to allow us to downgrade to 4.2 which was stable without bricking non-rooted S3 with Verizon.

For the vast majority of us this situation is not tolerable for what we pay.

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again see below, have done all of this, my battery doesn't even last 3 hours with most things switched off. Under Android 4.2 I got about 8 or 9 hours with many things on.  I can't keep on charging my phone 4 or 5 times a day.

They need to resolve this issue, please sign the petition and write to the FCC

Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have already provided this advice more than once in this thread. It does help but it does not eliminate the problem entirely.

One thing I have noticed since the update is that when I wake my phone from standby, very often the GPS indicator is on in the notifications bar. Why my phone is using GPS when it is in standby with no apps active is beyond me but this could well explain the unusual battery drain while on standby.

But there is also still ridiculous battery drain during use. This morning, like every morning, I took the phone off the charger and checked my emails. Battery dropped from 100% to 97% in less than 1 minute.