Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

A lot of problems I have with my Galaxy S3 is from the update and Google apps. When I kill and force close and restrict every single Google app all of a sudden my phone works and is not lagging. Battery drain is awful, and I am not able to consistently charge the phone. I went out and bought several chargers, stock and aftermarket. I have tried charging with the stock charger in a wall outlet, usb, and car. I tried a higher amp box that came with my mom's Samsung phone and that didn't work either. Aftermarket chargers worked for a little while the best but then failed as well. A hard reset does nothing but make me have to start all over. I get even worse reception as well. When I actually can get the phone to charge it drops to 90% from fully charged in only a few mins on non activity. I need my phone for my business and I cant get things done when Verizon Samsung and Google are the root cause of all the problems we are having since the update but yet we still have to pay more and more with each contract and get less and less. Then they FORCE an update you can not avoid and it turns your nice shiny phone into a brick!

cowboychincs
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just FYI... did you all know there was at least one other discussion about these issues within the VZW Forums?  If you want to see what else is going on, take a look for this thread: 

After update to 4.3... "Your internet connection is unstable"

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try Snapdragon BatteryGuru instead of other battery savers

I usually use Battery Defender Ultimate and paid the price for the full version. 

Whilst I fully agree the battery drain is bad under Android 4.3 and I am challenging a Verizon Analyst from Executive Relations after filing a complaint with the FCC.  Again doesn't seem to be getting nowhere, Verizon have trained their drones to give stock answers or make ludicrous claims that people only suffer battery drains after one week, I am challenging them to ask several of us to come into their lab with the FCC present to do real world tests with our phones running Android 4.1.2 and Android 4.3 with the same applications and see battery drain faster under Android 4.3.  They are in complete denial of their fault, maybe they are expecting CLASS ACTION liability suits against them for this.

I just don't know why Verizon won't do the honorable thing and take on Google/Samsung for this issue on Android 4.3 and re-issue those that want it with the downgrade to Android 4.1.2. 

Anyway, I have to say the Snapdragon BatteryGuru which takes approx 48 hours to learn how you use your phone and then sets the battery/apps settings itself is giving me better battery life under Android 4.3 than Battery Defender Ultimate did.  Right now, I left my phone off-charge at 5.45am and used it very moderately (no calls, some email checking and got into some apps but not all the time and no long time on a single app) and it is at 39% at 11.55am.  This is not bad but for me I am way past the 2 days.

Again I am sure it would perform better under Android 4.1.2, but right now this is the best I am doing under Android 4.3.  Let me know your experiences.  Now I am charging about 3 times a day instead of like 5.

Please to all of you who contacted FCC, do not take stock answers from Verizon. If they are not helpful, reply to FCC saying that after the FCC complaint was raised they are still being evasive and giving stock answers, rather than being really helpful in resolving the issue.

pizzapablo
Contributor - Level 1

Well folks, its been about 3 weeks since my wife's SGS3 took that WONDERFUL "update".

Initially the battery drain was insane.

It seems that there may have been something to what Ann154 posted about letting the softwear "settle". I had not heard such a phase, previously, but I am happy to report that the battery issue has definitely improved.

However, a check of the battery screen shows significant running of Android OS and Google Services.

A screenshot is attached.

I don't believe that I have ever seen anything above Screen on percentage.

Obviously the phone wasn't used much during the 14.5 hours of on time, but 28% battery loss seems pretty good.

I am concerned about what the phone is doing, in the background, resulting in such high percentages of Android OS and Google Services use.

ells1010
Enthusiast - Level 2

just an update....i've now had the update for 3 weeks, still no improvement. i'm using a backup phone as of now, because my own is literally useless unless plugged in (which defeats the purpose), but it is ridiculous that there has been NO fix. i really hope that something can be done so i can get full use of my phone back.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Not in my case...I'm on my second GS3 (Verizon sent replacement) and my issues actually got worse (Bluetooth in specific). Glad you are having better luck.

0 Likes
cjcoombes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Rob ---------

Just a note.  I am an old fart who only uses my phone for calls.  My battery normally lasts about four days before I need to recharge.  Suddenly, I was losing all battery life in about 8 hours without using the phone at all.  I made the connection between this blatant change and my recent update to 4.3.  I did contact Verizon and they were not at all forthcoming about there being any problem with the update, but they did take me through a factory reset, which in fact, appears to have corrected the issue.  After 20 hours and a few calls, I am still close to 90% charge.  The process I went through was simple.  In the Backup and Reset function I was instructed to uncheck both boxes and do the reset. That was it.  (For anybody else reading this, be sure your contacts and pics are saved elsewhere.  Storage cards are unaffected.)  I am unsure if the fix is in place or not, but saying my issue appears corrected.  cjc

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

I've already done this on my original S3 and the replacement they sent me. Same issues. Now I can't even use Bluetooth in my car on the replacement phone. So it went from bad to worse in my case. Glad it's working for you.

0 Likes
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

OMG everyone. VZW FAIL! I think this is laughable and hilarious. Actually kinda sad to think our service provider just did this. This post is NOT related to the battery drain, but more about eh VZW ineptness. And my intent is not to take this forum sideways, but I though you'd get a kick out of it.

(Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Ready for the kicker!? I am NOT (removed) Not even close, VZW. Well, my name starts with an M and has 4 letters, and there is a C in my last name, but that's about it.

Maybe it will make you chuckle. Sad... so very sad.

- Pyrocrig

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did the factory reset 48 hrs after the update. It did improve battery life a little for me but not to the levels pre-update.

Also, I notice that almost everytime I wake my phone, the GPS indicator is on in the notifications bar. It goes out immediately but why is it on when my phone is asleep?

And, even though I turned off “auto-switch between networks” I still see 4G popping up a lot when I should be on Wifi. And again, this seems to be related to the phone being asleep (I do have wifi set to be on when asleep so that’s not the problem).

My phone has been off the charger for 2hr. I have only used it to take 1 phone call that lasted 18 minutes, 40 seconds. Battery is at 90%. Before the update, with this minimal usage, I would still be 98%.

Look through the thread for my earlier comments about being in the desert with mobile data turned off. I think that is the key.