Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here. Here. That has been what I've been thinking. However, the Nexus 5 looks to be a good move. Pick your provider, don't deal with bloatware. Get straight up Google stuff.

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know if this is coincidence or not but I uninstalled Subway Surfers

because I almost never play it and even though I turn off notifications it

updates every few days and notifications get turned back on. That annoyed

me so I uninstalled the game yesterday.

Today, I have been off charger for 8 hours and I'm only down to 70%

battery. Yesterday I had already recharged twice by this time and was still

down in the 50s.

If the longer battery life holds up I'll reinstall Subway Surfers and see

if the rapid drain returns.

0 Likes
cowboychincs
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thx.... but I doubt any of the 1000+ folks impacted by the last release of Android that impacted them even have this game (?) Installed.... but nice try to help us.... thx anyway...

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes but you see many apps are similar in that they are almost always live

so they can give you frequent notifications. It is not the exact app but

its behavior that matters. That is why I posted the description instead

of just the name of the app. Was that too cryptic?

0 Likes
cowboychincs
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Dewey3k.....  nope, you did just fine.... but there are literally thousands of us who have this problem... most of which have taken the VZW Tech input to fix it... .and that is, do a total reset... removing all apps, etc.   AND this did NOT solve the problem... it is a known issue with the latest Android FW release..... so,  you did nothing wrong... just that we all have been down this road for months now.... hope you understand that this issue is bigger than all of us..... again, thanks for trying... but the issue is with the latest FW release.... and hopefully, we will see a new release to fix the issues (lots of issues other than battery drain)....

0 Likes
Lizer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is it time for us Android users to say good bye to Samsung and head to Apple?  My phone was on my desk, flashing about every 10 seconds and had to be recharged after 3 hours.  This 4.3 update has been a killer. I have absolutely no idea what to do! Where in the heck is the mighty Samsung when they have created such havoc?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, I was able to fix the problem by digging back into settings and fixing some things that were changed in the update.

Bluetooth and GPS.   I turn them off unless I need them, and they were on and continued to turn back on after the update.

Motion and accessibility.   These had a lot to do with the lagging or unresponsive screen, I had to turn off some of the motion options that were. to compatible with the update.

Keyboard.   I use Swiftkey, but it went nuts and was not working well.  I uninstalled, reinstalled and now it works fine.  

Continue to dig into settings.   There are several battery chewing items that are new.    The settings have been revamped and things are moved - good luck!

Useless, annoying bloat ware.   Why an HP print app?   I don't have an HP printer.    I was able to uninstall or at least dump most data, cashe and turn off some of the apps.

I got the update in early January when it was supposedly so buggy that it was stopped by samsung.    Most of the problems, were no problem, the rest were easily resolved.

0 Likes
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thinking about it. My wife has and iPhone 4S. We bought ours at the same time. We went out to dinner last night. Wi-Fi: off. Deep sleep mode. No texting. No Facebook. No apps "running" (Close All). My phone was fully charged when we left the car. Her's was at 89%. She Facebooked a little. Made a call to our daughter. And was left with 81% at the end of the night. Mine? 86%!! I did ... NOTHING! Ugh... this is brutal! Apple should be running commercials about this forum. However, I will say, a co-worker (power user) has the Nexus 5, and Sprint. A4.4. So. Much. Better. Hmmm.

0 Likes
danno92770

I actually found some relief by accident not sure why it worked but so far so good. Earlier this week I turned off all the suggested thing everyone has spoken about but it didn't help me. Tuesday I couldn't find time to charge and the battery completely died and phone shut off. When noticed I connected charger and didn't turn phone back on until fully charged to 100%. Used phone as usual yesterday 30-40 emails numerous calls at bed time I still have 40%. Same today 30-40 emails numerous calls and at 8:20pm I still have 50%. I don't want to Jinx myself but for some reason this helped.

Danny W

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lizer, We certainly want to make sure your device is working as expected. Please use the link as a troubleshooting guide to assist with some steps to get your phone back to it's normal working ways http://vz.to/1lkYZMH In addition, you can try to put your device in safe mode to see if possibly an app can be causing the reason for its battery draining after the update http://vz.to/1ksBLHl Lastly, a step to take is to master reset the device. Be sure to back up all your information as this will restore the device to its factory settings. Thanks for your time Lizer and I am confident we can get your device back up and running in no time.

-PeterV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes