Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Dewey3k wrote:

Do you think no one tried to "google it"? There are dozens of "fixes" and the easy ones don't seem to do anything. If you know something, share it. If you don't, then why act like a pompous twit?

Go to Settings>Accessibility>Flash notification.  If the box is  unchecked, check it and uncheck it and that should stop the flash from  flashing during calls. If it is checked just uncheck it, You may have to  restart your phone after, don't remember, but it  worked for me.

It's also posted in this thread.  https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/812849

Comment edited for continuity.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you try clearing the cache partition as I described above? I find that when the batter drain gets really ridiculous (like 1% per minute during use or per 10 minutes in standby) repeating that process helps. The occasional battery pull seems to help every now and then as well. Not quick or easy and not permanent but better than nothing.

I am hoping for a Samsung/Verizon patch soon.

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Ref battery drain, there are many bloatware Apps that have been added, if you go to Setting>Manage Applications and scroll thru "ALL" applications and either uninstall if allowed or "Stop" the App from running.  This will help slightly. Also, if you hold the "hard" button at the bottom of your phone, it will bring up all the recent apps, click on "task manager' at the bottom left, then at the top, highlight "RAM", that back to the bottom, click on "clear memory"... that might help stop some background processes that don't need to be running.  Also, try an App like Juice Defender Plus, where you can control how often the radio refreshes for emails and the like. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You're definitely on a fantastic path to trying to find what's draining your battery, p_clinger. There's a lot of great tips to extend your battery life at http://vz.to/1bVZ9D6 in addition to using the Power Saver http://vz.to/1a3VeHI on the phone with the new software. Are you still using the original home charger for your phone too? That can have a large effect on your battery life as well.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a wonderfully unhelpful response. From the overwhelming volume of complaints it should be clear that people are experiencing dramatically worse battery drain since the 4.3 update than they were before. With nothing else changed, it is obvious that something in the update (probably a background process inaccessible to non-rooted users) is causing the drain.

Even with all the "battery saving" you recommend, I am still experiencing at least twice the drain as before 4.3. I used to be able to use my phone all day and not get to a red battery indicator until evening. Now I'm there in just a few hours.

It would be nice if you could tell us how to stop the offending process(es) or at least reassure us that Verizon and Samsung plan some kind of fix for this problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

susedom,

I know how important it is to have the battery last as long as your day, let's get it back to normal battery life. Please make sure you don't have these applications as they diminish battery life http://vz.to/1amSs0F . Then, follow these steps to ensure you get the most our of your battery http://vz.to/1d7oKxy .

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Puttygutt

All -

The 4.3 update was pushed to my phone last Wednesday (1/8).  I immediately noticed the battery drain.  I went ahead and performed a factory reset, but the battery drain issue still occurred after I restored the device.  I then noticed a new option on the status screen ribbon bar called Smart Stay.  I believe this feature has been around for a while; however, they must of added the icon to the ribbon bar in 4.3.  I believe you enabled the feature on the settings screen prior to 4.3.  On my phone, post upgrade, it was turned off.  I enabled the feature from the ribbon bar.  Ever since I enabled the feature, my power management was a lot better.  I had a 20% power drop (or more) per hour prior to enabling it on the ribbon bar.  Now, the power appears to be performing well - around 6% drop per hour.  Also, the phone appeared to charge a lot faster than normal.  I will continue to monitor.

At 1:10 PM Today 1/10 my power was 100%

As of 3:45 PM, my power is at 84%

Peter

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Puttygutt wrote:

All -

The 4.3 update was pushed to my phone last Wednesday (1/8).  I immediately noticed the battery drain.  I went ahead and performed a factory reset, but the battery drain issue still occurred after I restored the device.  I then noticed a new option on the status screen ribbon bar called Smart Stay.  I believe this feature has been around for a while; however, they must of added the icon to the ribbon bar in 4.3.  I believe you enabled the feature on the settings screen prior to 4.3.  On my phone, post upgrade, it was turned off.  I enabled the feature from the ribbon bar.  Ever since I enabled the feature, my power management was a lot better.  I had a 20% power drop (or more) per hour prior to enabling it on the ribbon bar.  Now, the power appears to be performing well - around 6% drop per hour.  Also, the phone appeared to charge a lot faster than normal.  I will continue to monitor.

At 1:10 PM Today 1/10 my power was 100%

As of 3:45 PM, my power is at 84%

Peter

The feature has been around, under settings>display>smart screen.  However, that allows the phone to recognize that you are still looking at the phone so that it will stay on instead of the screen timing out and going to sleep. Not sure how that would influence battery drain. 

0 Likes
Puttygutt

Also, that S-Voice application uses a lot of power as well. If you do not use the S-Voice feature, you may want to disable the service.

System Settings -> Application Manager -> All -> S Voice -> Turn Off

Peter

Also, after my prior post, I turned Smart Stay back Off @ 3:51 PM.

At 3:51 Power was @ 83%

At 4:20 Power was @ 77%

A 6% drop in less than 30 minutes vs 3% with the Smart Stay turned on.

0 Likes
rudeguyy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had Smart Stay on and off and I have the same drop in battery life. I think it might be pure coincidence because there are times my phone battery seems fine and then other times it goes down in minutes. I have left my phone untouched for an hour and one time I lose 6% another time I lost 20%. I have no idea why. All the battery usage is coming from the Android OS which tells me something is screwed up with the update.

0 Likes