Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
JuneMcP
Enthusiast - Level 2

This would me a good suggestion if the Verizon & Samsung apps you turn off would stay off. They turn themselves back on and you cannot uninstall them. 

misterjim
Enthusiast - Level 3

It sounds like you're experiencing something called a ground loop. You can get rid of this by using a "ground loop isolator," a fairly inexpensive ($15 or so) device that plugs into the audio jack. If it is ground loop interference, it has nothing to do with your cell phone.

ExSpectator
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hear all kinds of weird sounds through my headphones since the update.  Prior to the update, the sound on my phone is great.  Now when I switch apps while listening to music I get a clicking buzzing sound in the headphones.  When a notification comes in, there is an incredibly loud crackling popping sound through the headphones that is almost deafening.  It has made me scared to use my headphones.  What a mess of an update...

0 Likes
Heartbun
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought I was doing pretty good. Then last night I just put my phone in airplane mode for the night while I sleep. My Samsung tablet (10.1 WiFi only) in Airplane Mode drops 1-3 percent battery overnight. My S3 phone dropped from 79% to 54% in AIRPLANE MODE. What the heck. The phone screen is off, practically asleep, in airplane mode doing nothing and drops 25%!  Not good. What is going on?

Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

You know this is worthless advice. I have all the same apps I had before

the update. Nothing else changed. So why the massive battery drain? It has

to be 4.3. NOTHING ELSE CHANGED.

On Jan 26, 2014 7:03 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

SC-Claim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

SC-Claim, this is a great observation. Did you know that some application software can affect the performance of your device? Try uninstalling a few applications and power your device off/on to soft reset. Monitor your battery life and keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

The phone was fine before the 4.3 update with the apps I had installed.  I'd like to uninstall some of the bloatware that was added, but that's not an option.  You know, it would not surprise me to find out that the Samsung/Verizon bloat apps are the very apps causing the battery drain.  Got any tips on how to uninstall those?  No?  Didn't think so.

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I realize this is reply 150 is there abouts but I hope people see it and I hope it helps. PAY ATTENTION VERIZON AND SUMSUNG:

I just spent 2 days in the Anza Borrego desert far from any cell towers. I turned off Wifi and Mobile Data by turning on Airplane Mode. I took my phone off the dock at ~10:00 Saturday morning and it was 100% battery.

I used the phone all weekend for taking pictures (125 total) and to use the compass. I also used Google maps offline as the local map area had been cached during navigation to that location. I even used my flashlight app to turn on the camera flash a few times during the night. And I used Google Sky Maps for at least 30 minutes total time.

I periodically turned off airplane mode to check for service but I kept Wifi off the entire time. I even got service here and there. No mobile data but I did get cell phone service and could send/receive texts.

Now I certainly did not have my phone on as much as usual. But I noticed that while it was on, the battery drain was virtually nothing. And after 24 hours, I was still at 86%.

This morning I took my phone off the charger. I checked a couple of emails and looked at facebook for about 10 minutes. Dropped to 93%. I updated 3 apps. Right now, after 59 minutes, I am at 83%.

It seems to me pretty clear that the battery drain is coming from Network (Wifi/Mobile) related system apps that run in the background. Stuff the end user cannot control without rooting.

Fix it please.

0 Likes
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I'll look into it. Is it 12V? Or does it sit inline with the 1/8" jack? The sad thing is my old iPhone (3GS) and my wife's iPhone (4S) didn't make a single noise. Not a zips, pop or anything I told it to.

0 Likes
johncosta62
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not only is the battery an issue on mine....all my ring tones have changed .....don't know how to fix this without messing it up more!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SC-Claim, We do want to get this battery issue resolved for you. If you are not using the apps that are on the device, you have the ability to turn them off so that they are no longer running in the background of your device. To do this, go to settings>Application manager> Scroll to ALL at top> choose the app you do not use and "Turn off" or "disable" should be an option. If the battery issue continues, a master reset would be the next option to see if that alleviates the issue http://vz.to/1cCFXe7 Thanks for reaching out to us.

-PeterV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes