Samsung Galaxy Book S has serious Windows 10 issues
DSG1

The Book S was released on or about February 14, 2020 with Windows 10 Home pre-loaded (but apparently not digitally activated). This is an approximately $900, Windows 10 compatible computer with Snapdragon 8 cx 2.84GHz; 8 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system,  256 GB SSD and a on-board mircoSSD 1 TB compatible (I installed a 512 GB ScanDisk MicroSSD). Foir whatever reason, the Windows Home installed as a 32 bit operating system, but ceased functioning nevertheless.

Samsung Tech Support claims no digital licensed required even though the Settings showed  Windows 10 Home "not activated - digital license required" and refused to function after 25 times use. Windows File Explorer would hang up, then the operating system would fail. Window tech stated the lockdown was an anti-pirate function built-in. 

Verizon, to their credit, replaced the initial purchase with a second Galaxy Book S on March 4, 2020. The exact same issue was present again.  Samsung again refused to remotely attempt repair and insisted the computer be returned to them.  This time  I was then told by Windows 10 Tech Support that I needed to purchase a Windows 10 directly from Microsoft. 

Notwithstanding the fact that the original purchase already included the Windows 10 software,  I purchased Windows 10 Pro on March 4, 2010 ($199.99) and down-loaded it on the second replacement Galaxy Book S.

Much to my surprise after I went to the additional expense and time to download Windows 10 Pro. The computer continued to hang up in 1) File Explorer, 2) does not "shutdown" when requested requiring hard re-boot, which only re-starts the computer, then 3) the computer doesn't recognize the SSD removable storage intermittently, and 4) while trying to troubleshoot the computer tells me a scan of the primary drive is required, and 5) lastly, the computer will initiate a "shutdown" on its own for no reason, but hangs up requiring another hard re-boot - then won't respond to a turn back on for at least 10 minutes - repeating the same cycle. When checking the "trouble shoot history" the system doesn't report any issues??? Ran troubleshoot which did not find any problem!! How is that possible unless its a hardware issue. If it were a hardware issue, then Samsung would have discovered it prior to release.

Verizon Tech Support couldn't figure it out. Samsung Tech Support is a joke for remote assistance, always requiring I send the computer to their "blackhole" tech department. Finally,  Microsoft Tech Support took over remotely and finally caused the software to fail as described above.  She left the line for 5 minutes then came back and stated Microsoft had not seen these issues on this computer before; further stating it would have to go to the "Escalation Department.

Verizon again to their credit, chose to ship a third replacement computer on the off-chance the issue was hardware related. I received the third Samsung Galaxy Book S yesterday, March 18, 2020, starting the process all over again!

When I initially booted up the computer, the Windows 10 Home pre-loaded initiated the process. When I immediately looked at the Activation status, this third computer stated the exact same thing as the other two computers - "NO DIGITAL LICENSE - NOT ACTIVATED" I took a screen shot as future evidence should this matter not be properly resolved. Immediately however, the File Explorer issue manifested. (that means the same Software issue showed up on 3 separate windows-based computers.

The satire continued after deactivating the Windows 10 Pro Product Key on the second Galaxy Book S, I downloaded the windows 10 Pro (I legally purchased on March 4, 2020) on the THIRD replacement Samsung Galaxy Book S - The identical issues stated above occurred. I contacted Windows 10 Pro Tech Support and was immediately referred to "Level Two Support" I sat on hold for almost 1.5 hours before hanging up the first time, and another 1.5 hours before hanging up the second time.

I then checked to see the Activation status - the system said Activation was not possible because the Windows 10 Pro was activated on another computer and required I purchase yet another Windows 10 from Microsoft. This was becoming more than absurd. The original Windows 10 Home version appeared to be the functioning (or misfunctioning) operating system. However, the Activation window displayed Windows 10 Pro - not functional?

I went back to my Microsoft account, and re-downloaded my Windows 10 Pro program to re-installed for the second time on the immediate computer. The Activation was again denied and the File Explorer issues resumed sporadically making the computer unstable for its intended use and cost.

As of this post on March 19, 2020, I have wasted almost 6 business days in "work time" attempting to resolve what should have been a non-issue had the proper Windows 10 software functioned as represented. I have taken multiple screen shots and documented the multiple tech support case issues, especially with Verizon, as the retailer selling the Samsung product. Three computers all having similar issues is NOT chance - it is a mistake by Samsung, the only company we could not get to respond to this expensive issue!  Windows 10 Escalation Dept sent me an email that they will be contacting me this afternoon - so we will get their official version of the issue (we hope?)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy Book S has serious Windows 10 issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Whoa DSG1! It definitely shows that you have had an extensive interaction with us and we are appreciative of your notes on this matter. We can understand your frustrations with this matter and we want to make sure you get this matter resolved. It is great that you at least received some type of response from the Windows 10 Escalation Dept and we are eager to learn of their remarks as well. Please update us if there is anything else we can provide to get the answers you are looking for.CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes
DSG1

THE ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED. I HAVE TRIED 3 TIMES TO PROVIDE YOU WITH A DETAILED REPLY ONLY TO RECEIVE "AUTHENTICATION MISMATCH ERROR CODES" PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH A DIRECT EMAIL

[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]

0 Likes
DSG1
THIS IS AN UPDATE ON THE SAMSUNG GALAXY BOOK S FIASCO

Microsoft Windows Tech Support - Level Two did a complete script on the THIRD REPLACEMENT  Samsung Galaxy Book S computer. It was mutually determined, and proven by multiple demonstration that the issue is a Samsung hardware issue with this newly released product. I have attached screenshot as documented evidence. Please note that I have also included a copy of the Computer SKU, S/W Ver ID and manufacturer date code (01/21/2020). All 4 computers have the same S/W Ver and date code.  The Windows Tech Support Case No. is SRX1496462781ID
The issue is a faulty on-board usc-c microSD slot. It does not readily read the microSD on boot-up, unless you pull the slot in "hot" status, then re-insert, before windows can recognize the drive. This is extremely dangerous to do multiple times as it can damage the microSD card and the SIM chip (sharing the same slot).

To test this, Verizon Tech Support sent me a 4th replacement computer - with the exact same issue. However, in this particular case, the 4th computer didn't even initially recognize the external microSD card reader - I took photos of the Screen and the plugged in external card reader, documented evidence. I have kept third third computer that was worked on by Windows Tech Support and returned the 4th replacement computer to Verizon. Samsung has been completely unresponsive to this matter.
0 Likes
DSG1

SAMSUNG'S RESPONSE TO GALAXY BOOK S ISSUES:

It's interesting that while Microsoft Windows 10 Tech Support and Verizon Tech Support teams have been exceedingly responsive and helpful, Samsung, the manufacturer of the defective product demonstrates complete ambivalence towards the issue.

I have learned that Samsung prefers phone tech support because there are no immediate transcripts of their actions, although they claims all calls are recorded for quality control purposes.  The standard answer Samsung has given on the phone appears to be a boilerplate card response ; "Send the computer to Samsung to determine what the problem is, and what repair is required." This means that a purchaser of a new Galaxy Book S who may use it for business (as Samsung intended and advertises) must ship the computer to Samsung's "blackhole service center" for an indeterminate period of time , consequently being out time, money, and the new computer purchased because of a need. This is absurd. Especially since there is obviously a manufacturing defect with the Batch Code Date 01/21/2020.

This ambivalence becomes more evident when the Purchaser uses the Support Chat in an attempt to resolve issues. The following are excerpts of very extensive Chats held on March 21, 2020 and March 25, 2020, respectively.

Samsung Chat ID 4303397100 March 21, 2020 4:36 PM PST

"5:06 PM

I do apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

5:07 PM

We have our highest team on phone support which will take care of this concern.

5:07 PM

I'll create a technical service request ticket on behalf of you. All you need to do is call on our phone support team at below provide number and share this ticket ID. You'll not need to explain anything to them again as I will be already documenting your concern. They will help you with the available options for your device....

5:09 PM

Do what you wish. I have drafted a Public Review release of this expensive (non-functional) Sumsung Galaxy Book S computer, together with all supporting documentation to the Media. Its up to Samsung on how they handle the FALLOUT PR - Verizon has already agreed to refund my money if I chose that option! But I would prefer Samsung does the right thing by sending me a properly fixed and operational computer -- YOU HAVE A DESIGN PROBLEM ON WHAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE AN OUTSTANDING PRODUCT!

5:10 PM

Please allow us 24-48 business hours so that our team will look into this and will get back to you."

Needless to say, Samsung made no effort to contact me. I followed up again on March 25, 2020.

Samsung Chat ID 4303418321  March 25, 2020 5:57 PM PST

"6:46 PM

I understand what you said as a consumer. However, from Samsung repair is the only option available, if the technician determines that it is irreparable, then they will escalate this tot the product support team and they will provide you with possible options

6:50 PM

I am not sending this brand new $900 computer to your "blackhole" of tech support when I have a 100% guarantee from Verizon. You have defective manufacturing issues. So you do whatever your guidelines tell you to do. This should have been referred to your Product Support several weeks ago. Verizon will well documented on the issue and Microsoft is well documented on the issue. But IT'S YOUR PRODUCT and 4 computers all had the same issues!

6:53 PM

If it is manufacture defect t will be esclated to the product support team, for this you need to send the product to the service center who will determine if the issue is with the product design.

6:55 PM

This is not about the money I spent. I already know that Verizon will refund 100%. This is now about the extensive time I have personally spent dealing with, what should have been, and was advertised to be, a premier computer for business use. It's also about the complete lack of concern by Samsung techs, and fraudulent advertised quality of the product.

6:56 PM

I understand your concern.

7:00 PM

AGAIN, I WILL NOT SEND A NEW $900 COMPUTER TO YOUR BLACKHOLE SERVICE CENTER, TO WASTE ANOTHER MONTH. YOU HAVE 3 OTHER COMPUTERS RETURNED TO VERIZON AND YOU HAVE THE DATE CODE FOR THE COMPUTERS TO FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE. I SUGGEST YOU PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH A PRODUCT SUPPORT VP WHO CAN MAKE A PR DECISION. Unless of cxourse, you want to accept the responsibility for the negative advertising Samsung is about to get on their new Galaxy Book S and possible RECALL!

7:00 PM

I wish I could take care of this for you right away. However, repair is the only option available from Samsung

7:02 PM

So you are telling me that you are not going to refer this matter to someone in authority? I just want to be clear because I know for a fact, what you are saying is inaccurate. It may be YOUR only option but its not Samsung's only option.

7:06 PM

If there was any other option I would have helped.

Fine. What is your name or Supervisor ID for proper reference here?

USGCCKNCS020 is my ID.

7:07 PM

Thank you. I will note that you are refusing to provide me with a proper contact within the Samsung organization to resolve this matter.

7:09 PM

I would have shared if there was any other option available from our end."

The foregoing is the extent Samsung will do anything absent Verizon exerting corporate pressure, or my taking action via social media or under Nevada Revised Statute Chapter 598 - Deceptive Trade Practices. My efforts, are fully documented.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your time is valuable to us, and we are truly sorry to learn your issue was not resolved yet. Please review the Private Note we sent you.  

MariaV_VZW

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I just attempted to contact you via that contact number. Can you reply back with your name and also a better time in which we may reach out. Since our messages are queued, we may not be able to call right away but we will definitely do our best to ensure we get back to you in a timely manner.

EbonyR_VZW