Samsung Galaxy III software update.
Cjurban

My phone is asking me to update the Samsung Galaxy III for software updates. Should I do this or is it a spam?

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy III software update.
oaknest
Enthusiast - Level 1

My recommendation is to NOT update your phone.

The update is not spam.  It is a legitimate update.  But I updated yesterday and have regretted it ever since!

I rely on bluetooth for most of my conversations.  But ever since the update, my bluetooth connection disconnects in mid call and I continually have to reset my bluetooth on my phone to regain connectivity.

Forums show this is a common problem with the 4.3 Android update.

Cindy62707
Enthusiast - Level 3

same here.  it also does not read out name or number of caller even when they are in the contact list

and I can rarely call out using the Bluetooth hands free...have to go in and swipe the contact to manually dial then the Bluetooth can connect to the call.

0 Likes
oaknest
Enthusiast - Level 1

After the update, I spent an hour an hour or two setting all my ringtones back to the way they were before the update, turning my notification tones back on, turning off the camera flash when my phone rings, etc.  What a pain that was.  But my bluetooth was still flaky.

So after researching the forums, I found this "quick and easy" solution which seemed to have worked:

TrumpetWarrior Jan 8, 2014 2:27 PM (in response to Incredible-vzw)

OK, I fixed mine, and thought I would post to everyone interested.

I have a Samsung GS3, and got the update 2 days ago. The update reset several things I didn't notice before, like I had to download and install swift key, and some other apps, but nevertheless, this is what I did.

On the GS3 Phone:

1) Settings > About Phone > Device Name and changed the name of my phone back to the name I like to use. This will show up on the car (Sync) as the BT device. My wife and I have the same phone and cannot tell the difference if they are both the same name. The update had changed it back to the default name.

2) Settings > Bluetooth , While the BT is turned on, click on the Sync setting icon on the right and pick Un-pair the sync device,

3) Turn off BT, and go under Settings > Application Manager. Scroll to the right until you get to "All". Scroll down til you see Bluetooth Share. Force stop, Clear cache and Clear Data.

4) Shut your phone down, and take the battery out.

On the Car: I have a Ford Escape 2014 with Sync.

Basically, you will have to do a factory reset, but on mine, it didn't hurt or lose anything.

1) Mine was under Settings > System > Factory Reset (May take 5 mins)

2) Put your phone battery back in and boot up your phone and turn on bluetooth

3) Once the Ford Sync has booted up, add the device and just follow the instructions on the screen and pair the phone back up. Your phone may prompt you for access to your contacts and to download your contacts. Be sure to click the don't show again and click OK

Mine works even better than before!! Text messages are coming in again, and the Bluetooth media stereo is working again too. Pandora is awesome over Bluetooth.

On the Ford Sync, the only thing I had to set back was the Voice command under settings (I like the advanced option so she does not repeat everything I say) , and under the phone settings for my GS3, I turn on 911, and I set the ring tone to text to speech. I like it to announce who is calling rather than the ringer. And that is it!

You might could get away with less steps, but this is what I did and it was minimal. Better than trying to factory rest your phone or something.

Good Luck!

0 Likes