Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 NG6 Upgrade Issues GPS/SD/Battery
stef7
Master - Level 2

You don't want to do the FDR.... I understand. You await some patch. I really don't think there would be one... more likely another OTA, and you might have to do an FDR following that anyway, but that's off point... Whose to know? No one is forthcoming with concrete or actionable info.

Your battery drain... after an update, the phone has to model the battery charge remaining. And this generally takes a number of charge/use cycles to improve the estimate..

Now it could be there's a super hungry data app trying to resynch stuff post update, but its also probable your phone needs to model consumption. Hopefully that will continue to improve for you over the next few days....

Good luck.

0 Likes
EdFromOhio

You're quite a Johnny Rain Cloud.  Next you'll be telling us that Santa Claus isn't real.

0 Likes
FuzzyDomain

So here's another update.  My problems seem to be better now but only after 4 factory resets.  GPS is enabling and disabling as it should and no longer getting stuck on when I don't want it and not being off when I need it.  Battery life...well that has yest to be seen but it has been 2.5 hours and I am at 94%. 

0 Likes
Tryingit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well You can add me to the battery getting to hot and draining very quickly. Went to two Verizon stores today. I didn't realize it started right after the recent update. Verizon employees seem to have an idea. But their options for me were ridiculous. One I would have to hard reset my phone after all of the customizing I did to it (to fix their problem) or they would give me a refurbished phone instead of my less than one old phone (wasn't under warranty because I used the upgrade from a different number on my account). But one of the Verizon employees shut off the Verizon Protection and support while thumbing through my phone. So I'll wait and see if that helps. But under battery the Android OS was at 48%

TLHINMECH
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just replaced my S4 that I got in May.  The updating of it to KitKat 4.4.2 caused the USB to stop working.  It was to the point that connecting it to my PC caused the PC to crash.  So I got a replacement phone on 10/13.  It came with 4.4.2.  and everything worked like it was supposed to.

A week later I start getting a nag message saying there is an OS update to 4.4.2.  I went a week ignoring it, thinking I already had 4.4.2.  But it got to the point where the nag message was popping up all the time.  I finally found out that it was the NG6 update.  So I did the update and everything seemed alright, but then I found that the GPS wouldn't start unless I turned Location off then on again.  I then found that if it was turned on and in use by an app, occasionally I use Daily Roads Voyager or Google Maps, the GPS would stay running as long as the app was running.  As soon as the app stopped so did the GPS and it wouldn't restart without turning Location off and on again.

Last night I let the charge drop to around 40%.  So this morning I wanted it to charge up a little quicker so I turned the phone OFF and plugged in the charger.  A little later I went to leave for work.  I turned it back on, got in the car and went to use an app that uses the GPS.  This time the app started right up and the GPS immediately started up.  I was shocked.  I turned the app off.  The GPS turned off.  I turned the app on and the GPS came back on.  I've been doing it all day and it continues to work.

The update process did do a restart, the equivalent of a PC restart.  I think my turning it off was equal to a cold boot on a PC.

Anyhow, maybe turning the phone off then back on allowed something about the update to finish or reset.

0 Likes
ewmn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yesterday for several hours I attempted to find solutions for these problems with Verizon technical support (elevated).  They connected me with Samsung which opened a trouble ticket (number on request).  Neither Verizon nor Samsung could solve the problem, but when the phone is booted in Safe Mode GPS location returns.  So I remove ALL my apps, leaving only the apps required by the OS.  When leaving Safe Mode, the GPS nonfunctionality returned.  The conflict must be between one of the required Android apps and the Location function.  Since these apps cannot be removed, we must wait for Verizon to issue a fix.

This should be a huge issue for them, because the first time a critical E911 call comes through without a GPS fix, Verizon's liability will be astronomical.  Right now they don't seem to believe that the GPS is really disabled by this update.  Let's hope they don't have to wait to be convinced until they show up in court.

techPam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine was restarting constantly too until I saw this workaround: NG6 update has been hell on earth

0 Likes
labradog
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can we expect any kind of update to restore SD card access?  VRUFNK1 update did not address SD card lockout.

0 Likes