Samsung Galaxy S4 not working with international SIM card
anhalbert

Hi all,

I'm in Italy and I am trying to use a Vodafone SIM card with my Verizon-purchased Samsung Galaxy S4. I have been assured that my phone is Globally unlocked, but it refuses to recognize the SIM card, saying that it is a non-Verizon SIM and that it is from an unknown source. Then, I tried to change the global settings, and nothing has worked. Does anyone have any advice for international use? I really need access to my phone, since I am here for four months.

Thanks,

Annie

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 not working with international SIM card
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Annie
Thanks for reaching out to us! I'm very sorry your having issues while traveling. I'm very jealous of your 4 month trip. Let's look into this with you. Was the device working properly before you left? Have you tried a different Sim card?

Please ensure the global services are active. To check: Menu>settings>more networks> Mobile network> Global Data Roaming and network mode set to global.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
fannyslapper

Because Verizon isn't a GSM carrier, it's not as easy as switching out a SIM card to receive a different GSM carrier's service. I'm assuming that you're trying to use a Vodafone SIM to pay local rates. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA carriers, which means that they use a computer database to activate their phones (giving them an iron grip over what phones they want to run on their network). GSM carriers use a SIM card to keep up with subscribers. Although 4G LTE capable Verizon and Sprint devices use SIM cards, it for the sole purpose to receive 4G LTE service (because "Long Term Evolution" is a GSM technology). So the only way you're going to be able to receive service is through Verizon's global roaming partners and paying the roaming rates Smiley Sad. So if you want to be able to switch out SIMS whenever you travel, I would recommend switching to a GSM carrier, such as ATT or T-Mobile.

0 Likes
fannyslapper

Oh, and of course, another use of the SIM card on both Verizon and Sprint is to roam on international GSM networks (because most of the world uses GSM), in addition to using 4G LTE on the respected "home networks".

0 Likes
ronaldschwartz

Fannyslapper--you don't know what you're talking about.  The Galaxy S4 is required by the FCC to be unlocked for international use.  I used a French Sim Card in my S4 this past fall in Paris--it worked for phone and SMS but I could not get it to work for Data, though I was able to input the APN for my French Carrier, Lebara Mobile.  The card worked in my unlocked Droid 2 Global for Phone and Data.  Some people have had data issues with the Verizon version of the S4, others have not.

0 Likes
denverdo

Funny, the Verizon Wireless sales support people I've just been chatting with INSIST that you can't use the S4 or any other Verizon phones internationally with local SIM cards without paying extortion, oops, I mean Verizon Global Services.

0 Likes
ronaldschwartz

Does the Sim Card work at all, or does it think there is no card in the phone.  I had a bad sim card, and the phone did not register it at all, but another one from the same company worked.  Also, make sure that you have the latest version of Android 4.3 installed.  Earlier versions did not allow you to change the APN (Access Point Name) for a non verizon card.  Assuming all of those things, it should see the new card, even with an error message that there is a non-verizon card, which you can ignore. Go to a cell phone shop and see if you can get the APN for Vodafone in Italy and enter the information under Settings, Wireless Network.  Also, try changing to GSM (although Global is the best setting) --I got that to work on 3G.  All Galaxy S4s are unlocked for international use, and should have radios that work on all types of cell phones, CDMA GSM and LTE.  Good Luck.

0 Likes
dionna17

I used my S4 in Dublin, Ireland in February with a Go-Sim card (they give you a UK phone number) with no problem. I just couldn't get the data to work.

0 Likes
ahabion

ronaldschwartz, I have a question, my husband and I are going to france in a month. We are also using Lebara mobile. I just registered for a lebara account and stuck the lebara sim in my husband's samsung note 2. I went ahead and changed the apn to the lebara network, however, we're getting a "roaming network" notification. The notification states that we'd get charge significantly higher charges. I'm not sure if it's cause we're in the states and we can't connect to the lebara network or if it's b/c verizon has a death grip on the type of network his note 2 is on. I don't want to go to france and then be charged the roaming fees.

Did you get the roaming notification? Thanks for any help!! ^_^

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hello Ronald Schwartz

Thanks for reaching out.That sim card is designed to work outside of the US. The device is unlocked for global travel. If you use that Sim card here there will be additional charges. Here's a great link all about our services when traveling:http://vz.to/17KseUf

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes