Samsung Galaxy S5 Receiving an Update
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Samsung Galaxy S5 is receiving an update, mostly bug fixes.  More info. here:

Verizon Galaxy S5 Now Receiving Build G900VVRU1ANE9, Here is the Full Changelog | Droid Life

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Receiving an Update
bearone21
Legend

did you do the update?

jtown
Contributor - Level 3

I'm tryingSmiley Sad  I think they're serving the update from a 286 on an unterminated 10base2 network.  Been downloading forever and it's only up to 49%.  Oh!  50%.  Still 50%.  50%.  Aaaaaand 50%.  51%!  Meanwhile, a speed test shows 13/7 megs and all my other traffic is flying by.  52%.

I figured I'd just install it quick and go to bed.  53%.  53%.  53%.  53%.  53%.  54%.

From the description, it sounds like they're updating the bloatware, not the OS.  We'll see in another hour or so.

Really wish we had the option to do a clean install of the OS.  I'd like that enough that I'd pay extra.  It's crazy that all three of the android devices I use have different interfaces. 

60%

0 Likes
B33
Legend

bearone21
Legend

how big was the update did you notice?

clean install aka master reset.

jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Maybe someone took that "roll it slowly" idea the wrong way.  Smiley Happy  I don't know how big it was.  It just gave a percentage of completion, not the size of the download.  As I expected, it's just the bloatware that got updated, not Android itself.  Still on 4.4.2.

0 Likes
SMW_Washington_IL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just did the update then ran a blue box scan, update contains the patch for the fake ID vulnerability. Hackers could use an ID from an app you already have to gain administrative rights, take over your phone and gain credit card information. I'm sure it had bloatware as well but worth it in my book.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well the Changelog that was posted from what I could see showed Quite a bit, probably most of it was for maintenance but there always going be some extras thrown in that ones are not going to like b

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

what's the blue box scan & how do you do it please?

0 Likes
SMW_Washington_IL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bluebox security systems is the company that discovered the vulnerability

and roported it to Google. Bluebox is available for free from Google Play.

It checks to see if you have the patch and to see if you have apps that

have been exploited. If you have the update you could uninstall Bluebox if

you want.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes