Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Overheating and Battery Drain / warranty
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tory, I appreciate your time in responding and posting the picture of your phone battery information. I'm sincerely concerned about the battery overheating this way since your safety is of the upmost importance to us. Trying the phone in Safe Mode is a good option to test the battery drain, as well as a full reset of the phone:https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205096/. However, if the overheating does not improve, I would definitely recommend taking the phone into one of our corporate stores for a hands on evaluation. www.vzw.com/stores

TanishaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ninjiggilo, we are not giving up hope on your concerns.

Another troubleshooting step I want to try is to simply disabling the Gear VR Service until Oculus sends an update fixing the problems.

1. Go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager.
2. Locate Gear VR Service.
3. Uninstall or disable.

Do you see this as an option? Also before uninstalling or disabling, however, simply open the app and see if it fixes the issue. Sometimes an Oculus update pushes itself through when the app is opened. The update seems to fix the problem. If it doesn’t, try the above fixes to see if you get rid of these problems.

TakendraW_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I think it may help since the android system and android os is really high for the phone being on for less then 4 hours. Also the screen seems high for the phone to be on battery saver mode.

0 Likes
kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

Don't know about anyone else but under Applications Manager the options to both Disable and Force Stop are greyed out for Gear VR service. While I am not having serious issues like the original poster the service is having a negative impact on my battery life and it's pretty ridiculous that it has to be running when I have absolutely zero need for it.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I was able to force stop the gear vr service but have to go through all that again if I restart

my phone. There should be a way to disable this app and the game tools and the

game optimizing service. They just are not the kind of app I use or need. I wish they would

let us decide on this type of app.

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

Doing some more digging I found that there are a chain of apps/services that relate to one another. The reason I was unable to force stop Gear VR was that Beaming Service (Beaming Service for Samsung - Android Apps on Google Play) was running. You cannot disable Beaming Service but you can uninstall it. It's really not necessary/critical but it's a standard Samsung bundle thing.That said, it'll wind up being reinstalled one way or another. Now, frankly, beaming service has been around awhile and before Gear VR if my memory is right so... again... it's ridiculous that I cannot disable Gear VR. I have no Gear VR or any VR-related accessories for my phone yet the Gear VR service has to be installed/running  and has used 13% of my battery since I last fully charged it. The logic there is... lacking.

NOTE: Just because I said the Beaming Service isn't critical doesn't mean people should just go and uninstall. It could break other apps that make use of it. If you don't know what you're doing don't just go killing apps/services/processes, disabling things, and uninstalling things.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

That is really weird I can force stop beaming service on my phone but can not uninstall it. It has used 6% of battery (1 day 15 hours so far on battery} and I never use it that I know of. I do believe you are right about the beaming being around for awhile. I have it on a old droid that I have. I wish there was an app that would tell you like on a computer which apps feed off of other apps. Once again thanks kincaed I have learned something new today from your post.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kincaed, I understand the importance of having great battery life. Help is here. The ability to force stop is here for the device as well as uninstall updates which should help with the battery but unfortunately, Google and Samsung has designed the phone so that this application cannot be removed. Please see the link provided for the steps to uninstall applications. http://spr.ly/6581Dysmf

NatashaA_VZW

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

First step, go into System Recovery / Boot Menu and perform a System Cache Wipe.

If that doesn't help, perform a Factory Device Reset, aka Factory Data Reset (FDR).

If that doesn't help, you get the battery replaced.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Battery Replacement - iFixit

Generally when a phone gets hot, it's because the radios are in constant use, or the GPU and/or CPU is running at a high clock speed, or both. Performing the Cache Wipe and FDR (if necessary) should stop a rogue program or OS service from constantly using the radios, or forcing the GPU or CPU to a very high clock speed.

The second reason a phone gets hot is a battery issue. Batteries will get warm if there is some internal short. They may get so hot as to cause a fire. If your phone is shutting down, it may be doing so because the CPU is getting too hot and if that's because of the nearby battery, that's not a safe situation. You may have a defective battery. From the link above, you can see what is involved in replacing the battery yourself.

I'd call Samsung and Google a replacement service to find out what it would cost to have it done for you.

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

natashaa_vzw​ Thanks for the reply. I understand, of course, that there are things bundled by Verizon and those that Samsung has bundled that are beyond Verizon's control. Unfortunately, I get irritated in both cases because most of these decisions aren't really about customers, IMHO, but rather about the money that changes hands for pre-bundling things that waste space and can potentially negatively impact performance.

Yes, I have already disabled all the annoying Verizon-bundled apps as well as any Samsung ones that I am able to via uninstalling or disabling in the Application Manager. Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve all issues of completely unnecessary apps/services wasting battery and really comes down to Android development as well as Samsung's own programmers, etc. Regardless, I managed to disable Gear VR and the Beaming Service via a third-party non-root method. Pretty sad that this was required but such is life.

NOTE: For those interested I will not be saying how I disabled the apps/services because I am evaluating the benefits. I will also not accept the responsibility of someone who doesn't know what they are doing doing something that they shouldn't and bricking their phone because they did something that they should not have.