Samsung S-7 Edge Power Cycling
dbhorton96
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last Friday (30 Jun), my S-7 Edge was shutting down apps randomly and seemed on verge of a crash. I powered it down and then back on and subsequently downloaded the most recent update (don't know which one specifically).  As soon as that update loaded, the phone began power cycling off and on every 30-60 seconds. It is never on long enough for me to even power it down gracefully...thus it keeps going for about 4-1/2 hours until the battery expires. I can then charge it, but if I power it up, the cycle begins all over again. I tried restarting it in "Safe Mode" which had no effect; the phone still cycles off within about 30 seconds (and the screen is frozen until it powers down). Is there another way to correct the issue, or am I[Removed]? Barring another solution, I fear I'm relegated to doing a factory reset, but right now, I can't even get to that point without the phone restarting first. Anybody have a PhD-level idea? Thanks. -DBH

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S-7 Edge Power Cycling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my phone to work well at all times and definitely want to make sure your phone is working properly, dbhorton96. Let's dig into this and figure out what's going on. Please perform a device health check to review any trouble the phone may be having, http://spr.ly/65888U58o. Has there been any damage to your phone? How much memory is available in the phone?

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dbhorton96
Enthusiast - Level 2

Danielle,

I cannot get into the phone to access the VZW App. It goes through the

power down/up cycle too quickly, and even in those rare instances where I

can actually see the home page, the screen is essentially frozen once I

swipe to unlock the phone.

To answer your questions, though, there is no damage to the phone

whatsoever. I did a quick check of the memory prior to installing the most

recent Samsung update Friday morning, and as I recall, it has about 12MB of

memory available. It was immediately after that update when the adverse

behavior began.

R,

Dave.

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:47 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the update, DBHorton96. Let's continue to work with you on this to get your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge back up and running. Do you have a SD Card (Expandable Memory) inserted into the device? If you do, please make sure the device is fully off and remove the SD Card. Let it turn on and see if it will now boot up the new update. You can also use this link to run the software repair tool: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80201/ .

JoshuaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dbhorton96
Enthusiast - Level 2

Joshua,

Whenever the device has power, it simply cycles on and off again every 30-60 seconds. On the rare occasion I can actually access the home page, it is frozen and won't allow any interaction whatsoever. I've booted the phone in "Safe Mode" to no affect. I have finally done a "Factory Reset" and the problem persists. The battery gets hot because of the repeated power cycles, but cooled down now that I have shut it down via the maintenance boot-up page (where I found the factory reset option).

Is there someone or somewhere I can sent this device for repair or replacement? This has gone on for over a week and I really would like to have an operational phone again. I reside in Germany now, so there will be some shipping/transit time to consider.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should contact Samsung directly to discuss your warranty and repair options.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dbhorton96,

We certainly appreciate all the troubleshooting that you have done on your own. This is definitely odd to have happening & we want to get this resolved as quickly as possible. The one last thing we would need for you to try is an alternate factory data reset. This is done when the phone is turned off all the way. Please see these steps http://vz.to/2t9Gtjd   Keep us posted on the results.

AliciaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dbhorton96
Enthusiast - Level 2

I performed the "Alternate" factory reset with the same results as all other troubleshooting. The device still reboots/restarts continuously once it is powered on.

Any other thoughts?  If not, can you please provide the appropriate repair/replacement facility where I should send the device?

Thanks,

DBH.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone is defective. As Ann suggested, reach out to Samsung. If the phone is covered by insurance, you could try contacting the company. But, either way, trying any further troubleshooting is futile.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dbhorton96,

We know how important a working reliable device. I appreciate the steps you've taken. I've sent you a Private Message.

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes