Samsung S21 worked fine on 4G, now 5G turned on and it barely works
dmisselhorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Samsung S21 worked fine on 4G, now 5G turned on in my neighborhood and it barely works at all.  It flips between 4G, 5G and no service.  Can't make phone calls at all.  What is going on? This phone worked great until 5G happened.  Now it's a paper weight.  Why on earth does verizon not allow you to turn off 5G it's ridicules.    

Labels (1)
Re: Samsung S21 worked fine on 4G, now 5G turned on and it barely works
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sure you want your phone to be more than a paperweight. I am a consumer myself so I understand how frustrating this can be for you. I want to ensure you have a steady signal. Are you able to provide me your nearest intersection and zip code? What happens when you try to make a phone call? Is anyone else having this issue? -Amber

0 Likes
dmisselhorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Medina drive and Hondo drive,  Plano TX

Zip: 75074

0 Likes
dmisselhorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

One of the biggest issues is that when you have a low signal 4G connection if functions reasonably well and you can do things over data.  If you have a low signal 5G connection, it literally doesn't work at all, but yet stays on 5G and won't switch back over to 4G where there might be an equal or even better connection.  So what ever has happened in my neighborhood.  I essentially have no service anymore.  When before I did, when I was on 4G.

dmisselhorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can someone please just tell me how to turn off 5G completely?  There has to be some back door way to do it.  Just give it to me.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly understand your concern with the situation. I know how important it is to stay connected. Are you able to provide the ZIP code that you are currently experiencing this in?*Jesse

0 Likes
dmisselhorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already provided you the zip and intersection.  Here it is again:

Medina drive and Hondo drive,  Plano TX

Zip: 75074

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure you are always able to connect reliably, dmisselhorn. Does your device read 4G or 5G when experiencing issues at this location? How many bars do you have? Could you please run a speed test and send us a screenshot of the results?  *Cheyenne

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure you have the best experience with your phone. I apologize as the Samsung S21 is unable to outright turn off 5G connectivity. Are you using the 5G SIM that came with the device?    -Yale

0 Likes
kacm34

Yes! I was having major issues with my phone. I went to a Verizon store and they gave me a 4G card instead. I cannot make a phone call from work when I am connected to the wifi. It shows 5G on my phone. I try to call someone and they can't hear me or I can't hear them or it just won't connect. When I turn off the wifi, it works fine. 

0 Likes