Samsung S4 Wifi Connectivity Issues & Fix
LaShizzla

I've had my Samsung S4 phone for about 8 months now and have had no wifi connection issues. Around March 1 2014, I began having issues at home connecting to wifi. After troubleshooting, I finally just took the battery out and put it back in and it worked. A few days later, I went on a business trip and I continued to get "Network disabled because Internet connection is slow", however, my other wifi devices worked fine. I finally called Verizon and this was the fix:

Select "Settings", then select "Wi-Fi", then open the menu (at the lower left of your phone near the button), select "advanced" and then uncheck "auto network switch". That fixed the problem for me.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S4 Wifi Connectivity Issues & Fix
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

What is "auto network switch" supposed to do?  Turning this off seems to be a fix for many things, so it seems detrimental to leave it on, but surely it serves some purpose?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

axel_2078 wrote:

What is "auto network switch" supposed to do?  Turning this off seems to be a fix for many things, so it seems detrimental to leave it on, but surely it serves some purpose?

If you leave it on and leave the cellular data connection turned on, this switch allows the phone to temporarily switch to the cellular data connection to send MMS messages without you to manually turn on the cellular data connection.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

It would seem that this is something you would want to leave on then, would it not?

0 Likes
LaShizzla

According to the technician, keeping that box checked allows your phone to "decide" on which connection to use based on strongest signal/fastest connection.  Lets say your in a hotel that has free wifi. Well if there's another wifi network available that's faster/stronger signal, your phone might say your hotel's connection is too slow and won't allow you to connect to it despite the fact that the other faster wifi available networks are password protected.  If you uncheck the box, the phone doesn't "think for you", so whenever your phone says there are wifi connections available, your phone should no longer "override" your selection of choice just because there's a faster/stronger network nearby. Hope this helps, I couldn't find the "reply" button on the Verizon forum.

Email info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

So if this option is turned off and you have wifi enabled and connected and you have the phone data service connected, can you still send text or MMS messages without having to manually turn off the wifi?  Also, will you still get prompted about wireless networks available when you go some place that offers wifi, so you can manually choose which network (often there is more than one available) to connect to?  Sorry for all the questions, but I'm coming from an iPhone where none of this seems to matter.

0 Likes
LaShizzla

I'm not sure why (removed), the info I gave you was what the Verizon technician told me and I just followed Verizon's instructions and it fixed the problem and has been working thus far. Moreover, their explanation is what "Verizon" gave me  so I'm not sure why (removed) something they told me.

Email info and moderation discussion removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes