Samsung S5 fails to update to current software
ohary
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did a factory reset on a Samsung S5. It is currently at Android 4.2.2 (Lolipop). Every time I try to apply the newest software it downloads but fails to install. I get the following message: Software update failed, no changes were made" and sure enough I'm stuck at 4.2.2.

I have tried system restore, clearing the cashe, increasing available memory (8GB free)... you name it. Still fails to update. What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung S5 fails to update to current software
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Try hooking your phone to your computer and go to the link. It should update your phone to the current update for S5.

Software Update - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Try hooking your phone to your computer and go to the link. It should update your phone to the current update for S5.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

If you have smart switch or Kies they should be able to get you to the latest update

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

5'0's been out for a long time, are you using wi-fi, have you tried the network?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ohary,

Help is here! I regret that you’re having so much trouble installing the latest software update on your Galaxy S5. Let’s figure this out for you as quickly as possible. Please make sure that your battery level is over 40% (not charging) & isn’t any lower than 20% (while charging). Are you using our data network to install the software? Also, kathy65793 provided a great link for you to try: http://vz.to/2pYzfl6   Have you been able to go through the steps with that link?

AliciaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!"

0 Likes
DizTheMan

It would be nice if you guys actually put a link to the software assistant on the website. My S5 does not prompt me for anything. I can tell it to use the USB for software installation but that does nothing. I've been hounded to install the same update 5 times and it does the same thing every time. Says it installs but it doesn't. Yes my phone was charged. Yes I have a great connection. Between Google, Verizon and Samsung, you would think you guys could get this right. I just want a link posted for the software so I can do something with my time other then sit here trying to update a phone!

Update:

After opening 5 windows I finally found a link to download the software. Can we get this link on the first page where it tells you about the software so it doesn't have to be hunted down via forum posts?

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

You are so right I know where the page is and it takes me awhile to get there so just in case someone else needs it

Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
ohary
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Kathy, the VZ software upgrade assistant worked!

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I hope that your phone works now the way it is supposed to

0 Likes
ohary
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's been working fine. Thanks for your help.