Samsung S9 Video Calling
WEW2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just purchased a new Galaxy S9 to replace my S5. I do not see the option for video calling that I had on the S5. I purchased the S9 unlocked from Samsung rather than Verizon because of the price difference. Is it because this is not a Verizon branded phone that it is not giving me the Video call option? I am thinking that this is a option unique to Verizon.

[removed]

Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung S9 Video Calling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to help out our fellow community members, sprmankalel.

WEW2, I know how important it is to make sure all the features on your phone are working properly. Not all features are guaranteed to work with an unlock device. Have you added the free HD Calling and Video Calling features to your line? You can do so online via My Verizon. Under My Plans & Services select Manage Products & Apps > under Get Products select Free Products > Get it Now (next to HD Voice and Video Calling).

On your phone, what do you see when you try enabling Video Calling http://vz.to/2pytp7W

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It could be because it is not a Verizon branded phone. The video calling you speak of sounds like the feature that is included with Advanced Calling. If you have that setting, make sure it is enabled and hopefully the video calling feature will appear. However, this is a Verizon specific feature and may not appear on a carrier unlocked device.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

WEW2 wrote:

I just purchased a new Galaxy S9 to replace my S5. I do not see the option for video calling that I had on the S5. I purchased the S9 unlocked from Samsung rather than Verizon because of the price difference. Is it because this is not a Verizon branded phone that it is not giving me the Video call option? I am thinking that this is a option unique to Verizon.

Any help would be appreciated.

[removed]

That's because you got the unlocked version and not the Verizon version. You won't be able to do wi-fi calling either.

Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

WEW2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. The advanced calling is enabled but Video Calling does not show up. So saving the money getting the unlocked version cost me that feature.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

WEW2 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. The advanced calling is enabled but Video Calling does not show up. So saving the money getting the unlocked version cost me that feature.

Yes HD Calling or VoLTE will obviously work. If it didn't when Verizon shuts down CDMA in 22 months that would cause issues. As I said neither wi-fi calling or Video calling will work.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

When you ran the setup did you already have the sim in or did you go through the process without your sim in. I noticed sometimes the carrier partition doesn't download if the sim is put in after the setup and not before.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

When you ran the setup did you already have the sim in or did you go through the process without your sim in. I noticed sometimes the carrier partition doesn't download if the sim is put in after the setup and not before.

The OP said they have the unlocked version. Unlocked phones do not get wi-fi/video calling. This is why if you have Verizon you get the Verizon version.

Tidbits
Legend

boringusername wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

The OP said they have the unlocked version. Unlocked phones do not get wi-fi/video calling. This is why if you have Verizon you get the Verizon version.

All Samsung versions are the same.  The carrier partitions are the only difference.  The way the carrier partition is supposed to work during the setup process it downloads what it needs to work on a specific carrier including carrier branded applications during setup.   I always assumed Samsung would use it because they use the same hardware for all devices(it's intended purposed to reduce costs setup by Google to make it easier for OEMS).

boringusername
Master - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

boringusername wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

All Samsung versions are the same. The carrier partitions are the only difference. The way the carrier partition is supposed to work during the setup process it downloads what it needs to work on a specific carrier including carrier branded applications during setup. I always assumed Samsung would use it because they use the same hardware for all devices(it's intended purposed to reduce costs setup by Google to make it easier for OEMS).

All I know if you buy something like an unlocked Motorola like a G5( which Verizon doesn't sell ) wi-fi calling and video calling do not work.

Tidbits
Legend

That's correct that's what should happen but since Samsung does sell carrier versions often the unlock one should download the carrier payload. If anything I know the person could flash the carrier rom and gain all the features, but that's a different discussion.