Samsung Xcover Pro
ZJAR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anybody know if Verizon will be making the xcover pro available retail rather than just to business accounts?  And when that might happen

Labels (1)
Re: Samsung Xcover Pro
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out, this is a great question ZJAR. It is always exciting when a new device becomes available. At this time, we don't have details as to when it may be available. You can register here to keep up to date: https://forms.verizonwireless.com/dgf/optin/2012/08282012_general_optin/ 

RosanneM_VZW

BentleyL
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support 

Hi, It's been a year and a half since this post, but I can't verify that I'd be able to bring an unlocked Xcover Pro to a Verizon store to replace my current phone.  Would doing that be possible?

I've been able to find listings for the unlocked version, even if there still doesn't seem to be any way to buy one directly for Verizon as a non-business, but I can't commit to buying a phone that doesn't even show up when I search verizon's list of compatible devices.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely do not want you to have to buy a phone that you are not sure is compatible to the network. If a device is not listed under our compatible devices list, this typically means the device is not compatible to the network, and may run on a different network specification.  *Alfredo

0 Likes
sljvzw
Enthusiast - Level 1

In Which I Attempt to Replace My Phone with an Unlocked XCover Pro (BYOD): 

Short answer:  Do not do this.  The long saga follows.

I had NO cell phone service since December 21 until January 7 when I gave up, purchased a Motorola phone at one of the lower price points and had that activated. The XCover Pro is on Verizon’s web page, under Personal, as an unlocked BYOD.  If you click Learn More, you are sent to a Samsung.com page. On Verizon’s business web site, there is even a price listed for purchasing it from Verizon.  The BYOD listing seems deceptive.

(1) Thinking Amazon Prime was a reliable vendor, an unlocked Samsung XCover Pro for Verizon or AT&T was purchased from them.
(2) Tuesday, December 21, the XCover Pro was taken to the Verizon Store to be activated and set up my plan. My Samsung Convoy got deactivated. Store staff couldn’t activate the XCover Pro. Got sent away with the phone (nanoSIM and 64 GB additional memory installed) and advised to call technical support.
(3) Four days of multiple calls to tech & customer support and attempts by multiple support staff to activate this phone ensued. It did not text or make calls. How many attempts does it take to prove an error is reproducible?
(4) Eventually second level tech support said a business account is required to use this phone. IF the XCover Pro is incompatible and forbidden to “consumers”, WHY isn’t this fact disclosed to ALL levels of Verizon staff and on the Verizon web site? (Possible answer: bait and switch wouldn’t work.)
(5) Verizon voice response systems’ logic assumes the mobile number works. The systems rely on texts working or steer the customer to the internet.  The customers with the most serious problem (a DEAD phone) wait the longest.
(6) I called tech support Christmas morning to see if they could re-activate my old phone. NO, this can’t be done. Two levels of supervisors couldn’t get “the system” to give me phone service to help me with the problem until I could get a new  phone to work.
(7) I tried to obtain a business account, as I have a small farm. That was impossible due to a rigid rule in the credit verification process. I am NOT ALLOWED to open business account under my own name. The effect of this rule discriminates against women and small businesses with a joint proprietorship that do not use EINs, LLCs, or incorporate. The unlocked XCover Pro goes back to Amazon.

Verizon thinks I’m a BAD consumer. A GOOD customer buys a fragile flagship phone, a tablet, and a big network data plan for constant contact with YouTwitFace or InstaTok. They also “upgrade” these devices every couple years to make sure they have the latest.  I don't think Verizon wants consumers to have rugged phones as the phone might last too long, reducing demand for repairs or replacement phones.

0 Likes