Screen rotation doesn't work.
PIPERKEV

The screen rotation stopped working a few months ago (around the time of the Marshmallow update), and it's really beginning to get annoying.  I can only take vertical pictures and videos, and some of my apps (like some astronomy apps) don't work correctly.  I've powered it up in Safe Mode and tonight I finally did a Factory Reset, and it worked for a few minutes.  Then it stopped again.  How can this be fixed short of replacing the phone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Screen rotation doesn't work.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the steps that you have, PIPERKEV! Than you for offering these helpful details as well. As the concerns continues after a factory reset and while in Safe Mode this does allow us to determine there is a hardware defect affecting the device. I would love to review any possible warranty options. Please send a DM to us via Twitter @VZWsupport or via Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/verizon.

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

It’s frustrating when having a screen that won’t co operate and it sounds like you did many things to get it corrected, PIPERKEV. I am here to get that screen functioning properly. What screen rotation is your device in? Do you have the Smart Rotation feature enabled? Here’s a link to check this out http://vz.to/2gvmoiC and ensure your settings are adjusted accordingly. Please get back to us if you need more assistance. 

Thank you,

Ed W

0 Likes
PIPERKEV

Ed,

As I said in reply to the email you sent me on November 25, screen rotation is turned on.  It will rotate when I go fullscreen in an app like YouTube, but the camera won't rotate.  I downloaded an app to check the sensors, and nothing but the Magnetic Field Sensor works.  The gyro is out, and none of the positional sensors are working.  I've cleared the cache partition several times and did a factory reset, and the sensors come back for a few minutes, then go away.  They don't function in safe mode, either.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the steps that you have, PIPERKEV! Than you for offering these helpful details as well. As the concerns continues after a factory reset and while in Safe Mode this does allow us to determine there is a hardware defect affecting the device. I would love to review any possible warranty options. Please send a DM to us via Twitter @VZWsupport or via Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/verizon.

YaleK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

Doesn't work in SAFE MODE after awhile, EITHER..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brownian, I understand the importance of getting this working. I have sent a Private Message Please reply with the requested information.
AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
MOOSE80_99

I have also had this issue after the marshmallow update. I purchased a s5 for my daughter from 3rd party and everything worked great until the update of the marshmallow firmware. Even more recently the patch sent down has caused the camera to malfunction. Is there anything that can be done to revert back to older firmware version that worked?

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm pretty sure mine is a hardware issue, now.

Put the phone in the freezer for 20 minutes to cool it off (not below freezing,) and the gyroscope functions completely quit and will not restart no matter what I do.

These chips actually have microscopic parts in them that vibrate and use some interesting physics effects to detect movement.  (Look up MEMS and Coriolis Effect, and vibrating structure gyroscope.)

Your mileage may vary..

Steve

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brownian_Motion We want to make sure this issue gets resolved. How long has your device been overheating? Were you able to perform a Factory data Reset on your device?

TabithaJ_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport. If my response answered your question, please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apparently, you didn't read my other comments.  I have factory reset my phone THREE TIMES, all with the same outcome.  Rotation works for a few minutes then quits.

Putting the phone in the freezer is a TROUBLESHOOTING step.  My phone is NOT overheating.

Cooling or heating will sometimes cause poor solder joints or other intermittent PHYSICAL problems to manifest.

Cooling (not freezing,) my phone caused the problem to become permanent, indicating that it is a HARDWARE issue.

Got it?

0 Likes