Re: Second S8 and still having problems with GPS
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DesertRat96, I wouldn't automatically assume this is a security issue with your Verizon Wireless account and can see you've been through a lot at this point. Let's focus on some key points that can help make a difference going forward. Have we yet to replace the SIM card on your existing Galaxy S8? Since you're still running into GPS related issues, you can repair the original software on the Galaxy S8 in case something is corrupt and I would recommend setting the phone up as new once reset. Please reference the link below on the steps you can take to help remedy this issue by using the Software Repair Assistant Tool. Please keep us updated on any changes and if the software repair helps correct this problem. http://spr.ly/6587DdiQd

The My Verizon application should not automatically be signing you into your My Verizon account either. Since you've factory reset the phone multiple times, do you notice it still logs you in at this point?

AlanS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DesertRat96
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't run the software yet.

I re-enabled the My Verizon app on the phone...and I was auto-logged in again. I actually keep the app disabled for this reason. I was able to log out though.

Anyway, I ran the system check in the app. When I turned off the wi-fi, it said I wasn't connected to the mobile data network. But I am! I can't correct it. I will run the software tomorrow morning, but I can't get my hopes up.

The SIM card was replaced when I switched from an unlocked Motorola to the Samsung. I did not get a new SIM when the replacement S8 was

mailed.

Screenshot_20180505-210525_My Verizon.jpg

Image removed because ISP's, IP, and longs/lats visible as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Screenshot_20180505-210611_Settings.jpg

DesertRat96
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

I installed the Repair Utility and ran it. I also did a full factory reset with no restore...and it did nothing. The problem persists.

Do I go to the nearest Verizon store for a replacement SIM card?

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

​Make sure it is a corporate store. Verizon Stores Near Me | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

DesertRat96
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hypothetical situation:

I get the new SIM card from the store today, and it seems to fix the problem. Then after awhile I get the atypical spam texts or phone calls and the GPS problem starts all over again. What will VZW do to resolve the problem?

That's what happened back in August 2017. I'm just expecting a replay of the same situation.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad the new SIM is working so far, DesertRat96.

We hope that this resolves the issue. If the problems arise, please reach out to us again and we can continue troubleshooting.

Thank you so much for keeping us posted. 

VanessaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
DesertRat96
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

Looks like you misread my scenario wrong.

I changed the SIM card on Wednesday. At the Verizon store, the Amazon app located me in Alpine, CA which is 150 miles away. The sales rep tried justifying the error as Amazon showing the location of the nearest Amazon distribution center. If that was the case, I would have been seeing the one 35 miles from me, not 150.

Today, while sitting in my favorite fast food parking lot, I was on their website and received an error that my GEO location could not be found. Also, I had to force a location update to find another retailer "near me."

So, the SIM update is a failure. The sales reps at 2 Verizon stores say these see GPS errors. They all had good guesses, but can't give me the technical reason it happens. Except that it's more common on Samsung because they take forever delivering the latest Android OS updates.

Screenshot_20180510-091630_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20180510-091630_Brave.jpg

(^^ I didn't mean to upload the same image twice.)

Looks like I'm stuck with this S8 for several months until I'm eligible for the upgrade.

I'm still hoping someone can give me a more technical information as to why this happens and a solid fix to this problem.

DesertRat96
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

This issue still isn't resolved. I'm hoping it was not marked as such.

Am I stuck with this phone until August? Will there be a GPS fix in the future?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can completely understand how not having your GPS work the way you expect it could impact your life in a disruptive way. I know we have been working on this for a while now without the results you are looking for and I want to figure out the next best step together. I've sent a private message so we can best help. You can check for that private message here: 

https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox

RyanM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes