Re: Security Update 2017-08-01 Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

joel.billinger, we definitely want to make sure you have the latest and greatest software. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're having with performing the update and we appreciate the steps you've already taken. If you check for updates, does it show one available manually?

1. From a Home screen, tap Apps Applications icon (located in the lower right).
    Tap Settings.
  2. Tap System updates.
  3. Tap Check for new system update.
  4. If an update is available, tap Download Now.
  5. Tap Install Now.

Have you attempted to restart the device yet? 

If you go into your menu, how much storage do you currently have available? 

1. From a Home screen, tap Apps Apps icon (located in the lower-right).
    Tap Settings.
  2. Tap Storage.
  3. From the Device memory or SD card section, view the remaining space (located under Available).

Please check these things and let us know so we can further assist. 

JosephT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Security Update 2017-08-01 Issues
joel_billinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, time for a sit rep.

TLDR: I was typing the response while waiting on step 4 (another attempt at an update) and it seems like that step worked for some reason. Details below.

With regards to other issues:

There should actually be a step zero, where I checked the phone storage. I didn't write it down, but I think it was something like 6 gb out of 16 gb available. With apps and system files taking up most of that 10. Just checked after step 4, this information was correct.

I have also not tried a full factory reset yet. I can do that if it seems like a good option. I'm not sure if that is what you meant by restart the phone or not. Part of the clearing the cache process which I have done twice now involves reboots, so I assume that would cover a standard phone reset if that's what you mean.

Solution step-by-step:

1) Followed Kathy's instructions to clear the cache. Then tried the update again. It was already downloaded so the phone needed only to install. This was done very quickly. The phone produced new and interesting results. Now instead of telling me the update succeeded, it has told me that the update failed.

2) Given this new development I tried using smart switch from my computer again to apply the update. Again no dice, same problem, freezes at 0%. Battery pulled.

3) Immediately after step 2 I did another cache clear and rebooted the phone. The phone no longer immediately downloads a new update again, but just shows the previous failed install. I followed Joseph's steps to look for the update manually and found the following info:

failed to update to G900VVRU2DQL1, code 404

3/20: updated to G900VVRU2DQH2

3/21: updated to G900VVRU2DQI2

(note these dates are after I created the topic, does this mean I was slowly laddering my way up the update chain and I just had to keep going? I do not know what this means.)

4) After getting the info from step 3, I used the manual install option to try to apply the update once more. And that seems to have worked! Phone shows update applied successfully. When I manually check updates, it just shows the successful install of G900VVRU2DQL1. Checking for new updates shows the phone is up to date!